AppUp launch issue

AppUp launch issue

eivaagames's picture
Hi, In my game, I have a first exe file which executes the actual game exe I made a MSI package in which the desktop and start menu program shortcut targets to the first exe, then when user click Launch in AppUp the first exe should start. But the problem is when started from desktop or start menu programs it works perfectly, but when Launched from AppUp, the first exe can't find the game exe. Just for a try, I placed the game exe in the folder where AppUp is installed, then launching from AppUp also works. It means when launched from AppUp the first exe try to find the game exe in AppUp folder. Like the "Start In" property in a windows shortcut, if we omit it then the program starts in the current working directory. Something like that is happening when starting from AppUp. So what can I do... please help...
7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
DG Rooven (Intel)'s picture

Hi,

Thank you for your query.

You may also wish to have a look at the following link which will provide you some information about configuring targets in MSI packages: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/troubleshooting-validation-failures

If the issue remains, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards
Rooven

Intel® Technical Support
Intel® Atom™ Developer Program Team
Intel® AppUp(SM) Beta Center

Regards, DG Rooven
eivaagames's picture

I followed the instructions in that link, my MSI is like the "ArnoldPalmerGolf.msi" format and everything seems correct in my MSI.

I think the targets are configured well, because when Launched from AppUp the first exe starts but its "Start In" property is in the AppUp directory.

BrianDevArch's picture

This sounds like a path issue, related to the startup path of the shortcut being different than expected. I believe this portion of Roovens link applies to your case:

"Application Launch Issue

End users will either be able to launch an application from within the Intel AppUpSM center or natively (i.e. shortcuts or app executable). The apps we are validating are generally not having issues when the app executable is double-clicked. However, when launched from the Intel AppUpSM center we are seeing many apps fail.

To assist in debugging this issue we went to a command line and set the working directory to the app's directory and attempted to launch the app:

c:\Program Files\MyComp\MyApp>"c:\Program Files\MyComp\MyApp\MyApp.exe"

The above command works as expected. However, when we changed the working directory, the apps that failed to launch from the Intel AppUpSM center also failed the following:

c:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Start Menu>"c:\Program Files\MyComp\MyApp\MyApp.exe"

Based on this we can conclude that applications cannot assume that the working directory is where its resource files are located. Instead, regardless of the working directory, the application must be able to locate its resources. "

Please have a look at this link as it relates to you not being able to locate your second .exe:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/node/916

That brings me to, why do you have a second .exe? The primary .exe (that is your program) must implement the ATOM SDK, otherwise someone could easily just run the .exe manually and defeat the authentication routine.

Paul Bird's picture

I think what he means is that how does AppUp know what folder to find your EXE in?

Is there some setting you do when you make the MSI?

's picture

Hello i am experiencing very close to the same problem. I am building my MSI installer using Install Shield 2010. I have the installer created, uploaded it to the Appup Beta. I can download the app and it installs creating the desktop and start program shortcuts which both work fine. The problem is when i try to launch this from the Appup program itself it does not seem to know the working directory. It almost acts like it is trying to run out of the "Program Files\Intel". I am stumped on this one i am sure that i am setting the working directory and the target directory because the other shortcuts work.

Any help that someone can provide would be great. I have 5 other programs waiting to be uploaded after i get this problem solved. The name of the app is "Reel Deal Adventure".

Josh

BrianDevArch's picture

Josh,

Please review the links above as they apply to your situation. Your application is looking for a resource in the wrong path. You will need to modify your application to look in the working path rather than the startup path for it's resources.

Copy and paste:

End users will either be able to launch an application from within the Intel AppUpSM center or natively (i.e. shortcuts or app executable). The apps we are validating are generally not having issues when the app executable is double-clicked. However, when launched from the Intel AppUpSM center we are seeing many apps fail.

To assist in debugging this issue we went to a command line and set the working directory to the app's directory and attempted to launch the app:

c:\Program Files\MyComp\MyApp>"c:\Program Files\MyComp\MyApp\MyApp.exe"

The above command works as expected. However, when we changed the working directory, the apps that failed to launch from the Intel AppUpSM center also failed the following:

c:\Documents and Settings\[User]\Start Menu>"c:\Program Files\MyComp\MyApp\MyApp.exe"

Based on this we can conclude that applications cannot assume that the working directory is where its resource files are located. Instead, regardless of the working directory, the application must be able to locate its resources.

Login to leave a comment.