Conforming a pre-existing application

Conforming a pre-existing application

Arctic Paint's picture
Hello, I have a few questions about submitting an application I'm already selling (on my website and through distributors). Are there any restrictions on selling an app independently as well as on App Up? My Application is also built on a technology other than C, it still installs and launches like any other application, but I want to make sure that's all right. I couldn't tell by briefly looking though the SDK, are there any APIs I need to expose for the app center to access? Finally, my application is validated with a license key. I can expose an API for generating the license keys from my site, provide a list, or will I have to remove the key validation for distributing on App Up? Thanks in advance! Joseph
11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
BrianDevArch's picture

Joseph,

Welcome. To answer your questions:

1.) You are welcome to sell your app through any channel you wish The submission process does not force you to sell through the AppUp store exclusively. I would add however, that a majority of the apps to date have been specifically written or optimized to work on the Netbook platform.

2.) C++ is the only supported language for Windows submissions at this time. Other languages run the risk of failing validation. Additional languages, including Java and .NET will be supported in the future. Keep your eyes on this page for updates: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/develop

3.) Think of the ATOM SDK as an authorization component. It handles every aspect of licensing, you simply put it in somewhere in your initialization process. If the ATOM Authorization method does not return successfully, you simply prompt the user as such and shit the application down.

4.) You will need to remove your current licensing process and insert the ATOM SDK in it's place.

Please feel free to ask any further questions, and see these links for even greater detail:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/how-to-develop-application

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/articles

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/blog

Andre (Intel)'s picture

Hello Brian,

nothing to add from my side, excellent post !

Best Regards

Andre B.

Technical Support Team
Intel® Atom™ Developer Program
Intel® AppUp(SM) Center

BrianDevArch's picture

Thanks Andre,

Hope all is well over in Europe, if PM is re-enabled let me know. i sent you a few and they re-routed to myself. I didn't realize it until just now.

Arctic Paint's picture

Thank you for your answers. A few more questions:

Are embedded scripting languages allowed? (Lua, Python, ruby etc) I assume they are, just wan't to make sure (never know these days >.> yes Apple, I'm looking at you).

My app "phones home" to check for new versions and shows an upgrade link when one is available. Is this another component I would have to remove? Is there an upgrade process built into App Up?

Also if you could clarify a bit, what do you mean by "Netbook platform" exactly? Are you referring to systems with limited resources, 1024x600 screen resolution and a $5 Windows license (which for some reason I can't get directly from Microsoft)?

Thanks for all your help!
Joseph

BrianDevArch's picture

Joseph,

1.) The rule of thumb for windows applications/games is, if it is built using standard C++ using Visual Studio 2008 you are safe to use it. In the case of embedded scripting languages you would need to submit it for validation and see what determination is made. Please share the results here as I cannot recall anyone attempting such yet.

2.) The upgrade portion would need to be replaced as well. The AppUpp platform supports versioning of your application/game in an easy to manage interface. This ensures that all future version of your application are validated and download/install easily for your customer. You can see this feature if you click on My Dashboard and select a submitted application.

3.) When I refer to the netbook lpatform, I am indeed referring to the reduced processing power, and configuration which permits the ultra long battery life. This includes the lack of a heavy duty graphics adapter (although as several others have determined here, most do support shaders). In reference to the resolution, your application will need to support multiple resolutions without making the user interface unusable.

Please see the Validation Guidelines for those details:

http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/validation-guidelines

Jupiter 7's picture

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. I just want to confirm some things that you mentioned above.
1) I have an application written in Delphi that I sell through other avenues, which I would like to put on the app store. Can I do that? Based on your post above it seems like that is not possible, though I would be able to use the C .lib files provided in the SDK for licensing etc.
2) For application updates & maintenance releases - is that done through the App store too? So, would my updates be uploaded to the App store, and then downloaded from Intel to the client for installation?
3) How is a license revoked? Can A user change their mind and request a refund, what is the process for that?

Thanks for your assistance

Regards
Brett Spence

ww8520's picture

Guys, here're my understandings (I've only developed in the AppUp SDK for couple days to convert my apps over so take them with a grain of salt).

You can write your app in whatever languages you want provided:
1. Your MSI installer installs all the dependent language runtimes and libraries. (The AppUp store does have a limit on the MSI filesize like 20meg so .NET is out of question).
2. You have a launching wrapper exe written in C/C++ built with Visual Studio 2008, and compiled and linked with the AppUP SDK, calling the SDK's app license verification API to authorize the running of your app.
3. Your launching wrapper can just launch your main app once the authorization API returns ok.

For dealing with licensing, my apps also have its own license key management. I have to conditionally compile them out when building for the AppUp store. The AppUp Client is already working as a license enforcer. When your app runs and calls the SDK's authorization API, it connects to the local TCP port 8888 to the AppUp Client, which then sees if the end user has paid the license to run your app.

BrianDevArch's picture

The above reply is partially incorrect.

1.) There is no 20MB limit to the MSI. Several developers have uploaded MSI's into the hundreds of MB.

2.) Using any language other than standard C++ in Visual Studio 2008 may result in a validation failure. No other languages or environments are supported for Windows at this time.

3.) Your primary Application, the one which your shortcuts point to must include the ATOM SDK Authorization method calls.

Arctic Paint's picture

Just as an update to what has happened.

I created my application for submission by wrapping my python program with a light C wrapper using the ATOM sdk. So 99.9% of my code is python. I submitted it and it was approved in 8 days. It is now live on the app store.

Thank you Intel!

BrianDevArch's picture

Congratulations. It is nice to see this Beta evolving thanks to feedback and hard work.

Login to leave a comment.