Unable to install DirectX 9 silently

Unable to install DirectX 9 silently

MPL3D's picture
As far as we know, Microsoft's DXSETUP.exe, that comes with the redistributable version of DirectX, doesn't officially support silent install. Please could you point out the recommended/accepted method for installing DirectX 9 while passing the validation rules regarding silent install? Thanks in advance, Manuel MPL3D Team
www.mpl3d.com
6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
MPL3D's picture

Brian,

thanks a lot for clarifying about uninstall. I understand that DirectX 9 cannot be uninstalled, according to Microsoft specifications.

However the question is about silent -install- of Microsoft's DirectX 9 libraries.

I've read that the store is plenty of DirectX 9 software, and that according to the validation rules, all needed libraries must be supplied, and silently installed, along with the submitted applications.

Now what we don't understand here is how people has managed to perform a silent DirectX 9 install, since that's not supported by Microsoft either.

[EDIT: Ok, problem solved.

It seems that Microsoft decided to add the silent install option in the latests DirectX 9 library releases, that would be:

path-to-redistributable\dxsetup.exe /silent

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee416805(VS.85).aspx

Many thanks all along. ]

www.mpl3d.com
BrianDevArch's picture

Correct, You found the solution that many ATOM developers are using currently. Best of luck.

BrianDevArch's picture

Manuel,

Here is a link on 9C: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/22895-direct90c-unattended/.

Hi,

I see you are talking about the /silent switch for the directx install, but will this work unattendedly as in no user logged in?

We can get the install to be silent, but it seems a user needs to be logged in. I can't find anything that says a true "unattended" installation isn't supported.

Pfriar

BrianDevArch's picture

Pfriar,

Several developers that I have talked to have had their applications successfully validated by using the /silent switch.

I do not believe thee is the potential for an AppUp application to be uninstalled while the user is logged out. Please tell me more about this use case; How that could occur?

Login to leave a comment.