Internet Access Events from SDK

Internet Access Events from SDK

I've just installed AppUp on a new netbook running Windows XP. However, McAfee's Total Protection application is also installed. Whenever I try to launch an app for the first time, McAfee blocks the internet access that the SDK makes trying to authorize the application. The message displayed by McAfee is: Your firewall has blocked this application from accessing the Internet. If this application attempts to access the Internet again, do you want to block it or allow it? After this happens some apps silently fail, some crash, and others display an error saying something like "failed to authorize application" or "The ADP runtime was unable to initialize (Code: 2)". While I understand what is going on, I don't think most users will understand why every app crashes the first time it is run. In my opinion, many users might not even try a second time and will give up using the AppUp store all together. Would it be possible for the SDK to implement this authorization a different way to avoid this error condition. I'm thinking that there could be a service process running which handles all the SDK related internet communication. When an app calls the SDK, the SDK would call this service process which would then make the internet call. So once a user has authorized the AppUp service process for making internet requests, this error won't happen for any apps that are installed. In addition, with the existing architecture, I'm having to allow every app I install to communicate over the internet. This seems like we're opening up the possibility for apps to include spyware. I'd rather only authorize those apps that truly need internet access.
2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

John, you have a good question. I wanted to add that while this use case may occur from time to time, a majority of users will receive the branded store with their new netbook. Configured as such, any factory anti-virus program will be configured to "play nice".

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today