Multiple user languages

Multiple user languages

mark-saito's picture
My.Application.Info.DirectoryPath.ToString will let us tell a user where we have written potentially useful diagnostic information. This path should be in the language the user has selected when he or she set up or modified Windows. A French user might see this as C:\Programmes\... instead of the English equivalent of C:\Program Files\ ... However, if the French user is using command shell she or he will be back to seeing \Program Files. Should we tell a user both file paths?
3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Andreas Breitschopp's picture

Hello Mark,

I would suggest not to write your info into the program installation folder, but into the user home directory:
first it is not conform with the Microsoft Windows guidelines to write something into the program folder anyway and second the user home directory is also easier to find for a "normal" user.

Best regards
Andreas

mark-saito's picture

We went through a long e-exchange during a beta test many months ago and the resolution was in order to avoid security failures during installation everything had to be in C:\Program Files\company name\app name Setup\ - in our case C:\Program Files\I-MAG STS Corporation\SASSASetup
or any of a dozen other apps. In our case, besides the EXE, we have a .txt file we write to as well as a database. If we used another directory such as
C:\IMAGSTS (presumably to be created at install) or C:\Program Data (always exists but is sometimes hidden) we'd either fail validation or fail
the first time the app ran.
We're publishing a French app and had hoped to avoid a voyage of discovery also known as the death of 1000 cuts. In one sense, French should be a small step from English - both languages use a similar alphabet of discrete letters and are written left to right. It is obviously somewhat of a leap to go to Arabic - right to left and cursive with a different alphabet - or Mandarin which need not be alphabetic.

Login to leave a comment.