Encapsulator appears to convert webOS Enyo app to Windows MSI, but MSI gives error on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

Encapsulator appears to convert webOS Enyo app to Windows MSI, but MSI gives error on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

Holland Numerics's picture
App name: Data Steps - How Do You Do This in SAS Platform: Windows 7 MSI name: HollandNumericsLtd.DataSteps-HowDoYouDoThisinSAS.windows_generic.msi Error message when I double-click file: Error reading from file E:\phil\Documents\software\windows_desktop\images\howsas01w\HollandNumericsLtd.DataSteps-HowDoYouDoThisinSAS.windows_generic.msi Verify that the file exists and that you can access it. This is the file I just clicked and I can access it! What have I done wrong? Or is it a feature of the beta release?..............Phil
5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I've resolved this issue, but I don't have a definitive answer. The problem lies in the length (depth?) of the file path, as, when I moved the MSI file to G:\temp, the MSI program installed the app correctly. I still don't know whether I had too many levels of folders, or the path name itself was too long, but at least it installs, so I can now try to debug it!

Bill Chung's picture

Quote From MSDN Library Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces

Maximum Path Length Limitation

In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as 260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order: drive letter, colon, backslash, name components separated by backslashes, and a terminating null character. For example, the maximum path on drive D is "D:\some 256-character path string" where "" represents the invisible terminating null character for the current system codepage. (The characters < > are used here for visual clarity and cannot be part of a valid path string.)

JimH (Intel)'s picture

Bill is correct on the length of the path... a C/C++ limitation that has been plaguing the PC development. :)

I'll see if I can recreate your issue on my end. When you moved the file to g:\temp, did you rename the msi file or keep the same name?

Thanks
Jim

JimH,

I initially moved and renamed to something shorter, but discovered that just moving the MSI file worked just fine.

........Phil

Login to leave a comment.