runtime debugger crashes

runtime debugger crashes

I am currently moving a large code base over to the Intel fortran compiler. This task is almost complete, and the code is now executing as expected, however visual studio 2010 keeps crashing while I am debugging. These crashes occur either when stepping into a particular procedure, or when hitting a break point inside of the procedure. I receive the error message: Microsoft visual studio has stopped working. windows is checking for a solution to the problem... The studio then restarts with no explanation as to what caused the crash. Curiously, if I step over these procedures, they run fine and my debug session continues.

I understand there is not a lot to go on here, but I would appreciate any suggestions.  My specs are as follows:

major version: VS2010 SP1

minor version: GDR (March 2012) aka 'CU3'

Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 6 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 12.1.3514.2010

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Udit Patidar (Intel)'s picture

What does the subroutine do? Are there some allocatable derived types? Does the compiler issue any compiler-time warnings that may be helpful? /warn:all may give some compile-time diagnostics.
If you could post a code snippet, it could help.
Best!
-Udit

Update:
I have now updated the compiler, but this has had no effect:
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Composer XE 2011 Update 10 Integration for Microsoft Visual Studio* 2010, 12.1.3530.2010

I am debugging with all runtime error checking and compile time warnings turned on.
these show some unused variables/procedures, and some mismatched parameters in calls (integer*4 calling integer*2).
There are no linker errors.

The debugger is crashing very near the very start of the program, here is a snippet:

... (some includes, use, externals etc...)

LSTFLG = 0 ! first statement in program
CMDLINE=' '
IREV = 0
ICALC = 0
IOPT = 0
JFILE= 1
CALL GET_ENVIRONMENT_VARIABLE('DEBUG',C)
IDEB=0
IF(C/=' ') IDEB= 1
CMDLINE = APCMDLINE()
PROJNAME = CMDLINE

I=INDEX(PROJNAME,'.',.TRUE.)
IF(I.GT.0)THEN
PROJNAME(I:)=' '
ENDIF

IF(CMDLINE.NE.' '.AND.ISTYLE.EQ.0)THEN
! not an error, always executes
call wapstat('F','Unspecified error' ) ! program fails when stepping into this routine

...(program continues)

here is the stripped down wapstat definition...

SUBROUTINE wapstat(ch,message )
use fileManage ! module contains imported c++ file handling routines
include 'fileCodes.ins'
INTRINSIC CHAR, LEN_TRIM, len
EXTERNAL SSERROR
character ch
character*(*) message
integer*4 istt
istt = OpenFile(apstfile,100)
istt = WriteChars(message,len(message) )
istt = CloseFile()
return
END

Interestingly the debugger fails at this point above when runtime error checking is turned off. When turning on all runtime error checking, stepping into this procedure works fine and no errors are reported, then the debugger crashes in the same fashion later on when stepping into a different procedure.
apologies for the style, but I am still trying to find my way round the new forum design.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

For problems such as this we need to see a complete test case. You can either attach a ZIP here or use Intel Premier Support.

Steve

I have same problem and I use VS 2010 with Intel Fortran Composer 2013 Update 5. When I run the program without debugging, it is producing expected results and when I try to step into routine it simply keep crashing. I am not sure if I am allowed to attach code to this forum. Have to see with my boss...

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

You can also use Intel Premier Support which is private and secure.

Steve

Login to leave a comment.