Wi-Fi connection and Bluetooth file transfer problems ( Android-to-WindowsXP )

203 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Here is another post at: androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/545825-wep-wifi-connection-problem.html

// Post #31
...
First step - DON'T USE WEP
It is unsecure and old outdated technology.
Use WPA or WPA2 with a passphrase
...

Note: I tried and it didn't help in my case. Also, if WEP is '...old outdated technology...' why does Microsoft still use it? I wonder who declared WEP as the outdated technology?

Hi Iliya,

>>...Few times I wanted to dig into deeper layer of NDIS protocol stack , but windbg was not helpful in my case...

I don't think that it will help in my case. So, I'm going to look at Android sources and I'll provide some details later. I don't know when exactly it will happen but I don't see another way to understand why Android tablet simply ignores that type of Wi-Fi network created on Windows platform.

>>>I don't think that it will help in my case>>>
Such a scenario can be avoided when the NetMon will provide us with clear picture of connectioin setup failure.As I recommended you many times
monitoring of connection setup and looking at various fields beign set and reset mostly "Reason code fields" can be very helpful in pinpointing the
possible culprit.

>>>So, I'm going to look at Android sources and I'll provide some details later.>>>
Few days ago I posted a link to some Android classes which are encapsulating wifi connectivity please look at this link :http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/p2p/package-summ...
>>>don't see another way to understand why Android tablet simply ignores that type of Wi-Fi network created on Windows>>>
I fear that such critical piece of code can be easily obfuscated.

>>>Also, if WEP is '...old outdated technology...' why does Microsoft still use it>>>
Probably as a backward compatibility or some strange rule enforced by 802.11 protocol amendment.

>>> I wonder who declared WEP as the outdated technology?>>>
WEP cipher was broken more than 10 years ago by israeli cryptograph Adi Shamir.
During my tests with Aircrack suite i was able to break that cipher in less than 3 seconds.
WEP weakness lies in short initialization vector beign only 24-bit and in noisy environment( I mean heavy traffic) there is probability than the key will be repaeated and guessed.
Please consult this article :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_Equivalent_Privacy
By simple logical reasoning it is possible that Android developers designed theirv upper managing layer in such a way that lower level 802.11 parser extracts the key fields and checks for encryption and when it sees that WEP is beign used as a default cipher the connection is refused.

@Sergey
I strongly advise you to consult an actual wifi protocol parser implementation.It can be found in NetMon under parsers tab.
I hope that parser wifi parser implementation will be very helpful to you when you will be forced to look through the Android wifi stack implementation.

Now please look at few examples of live "ManagementProbe response" frame captured by my wirelles adapter working in monitor mode.
Please look at vendor specification field you can clearly see OUI is set to Microsoft
Here is the whole tree

Frame: Number = 72, Captured Frame Length = 148, MediaType = WiFi
- WiFi: [ ManagementProbe response] ...R... RSSI = -84 dBm, Rate = Data Rate Cannot be Determined: Nonstandard Data Rate used, SSID = NETIA-f95e65, Channel = 11
- WiFiMetadata MetaData: RSSI = -84 dBm, Rate = Data Rate Cannot be Determined: Nonstandard Data Rate used
UINT8 Version: 2 (0x2)
UINT16 Length: 32 (0x20)
+ UINT32 OpMode: Monitor Mode
UINT32 Flags: 5 (0x5)
UINT32 PhyType: 802.11g
UINT32 Channel: 11, Center Frequency: 2462 MHz
INT32 lRSSI: -84 dBm
UINT8 Rate: Data Rate Cannot be Determined: Nonstandard Data Rate used
FILETIME TimeStamp: 01/01/1601, 00:00:02.462861 UTC
- WiFiFrameCtrl FrameControl: Version 0,Management, Probe response, ...R...(0x850)
UINT16 Version: (..............00) 0
UINT16 Type: (............00..) Management
UINT16 SubType: (........0101....) Probe response
UINT16 DS: (......00........) Ad hoc network
UINT16 MoreFrag: (.....0..........) No
UINT16 Retry: (....1...........) Yes
UINT16 PowerMgt: (...0............) Active Mode
UINT16 MoreData: (..0.............) No
UINT16 ProtectedFrame: (.0..............) No
UINT16 Order: (0...............) Unordered
- Management:
UINT16 Duration: 314 (0x13A)
MacAddress DA: 0023CD C9D100
MacAddress SA: 001FA4 F95E66
MacAddress BSSID: 001FA4 F95E66
+ WiFiSeqCtrl SequenceControl: Sequence Number = 3878
- Payload: 0x1
- WiFiBeacon ProbeResponse: Probe Response with SSID [NETIA-f95e65]
WTimeStamp TimeStamp: 487529315389 microsecond(s)
UINT16 BeaconInterval: 100 ms
+ WiFiCapability Capability: 0x1104
- WiFiInformationFields InformationElements:
+ WiFiSSID ssid: NETIA-f95e65
+ WiFiSupportedRates rates: 1.0 Mbps, 2.0 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps, 11.0 Mbps, 18.0 Mbps, 24.0 Mbps, 36.0 Mbps, 54.0 Mbps
+ WiFiDSParameterSet Channel: 11
+ WiFiERP ERP: No Non-802.11g STA present
+ WiFiUnknownInfField UnknownIE:
+ WiFiSupportedRates ExtendedRates: 6.0 Mbps, 9.0 Mbps, 12.0 Mbps, 48.0 Mbps
+ WiFiVendorSpecificInfo VendorSpecificInfo: OUI=BROADCOM CORPORATION, FieldType=Unknown
- WiFiVendorSpecificInfo VendorSpecificInfo: OUI=MICROSOFT CORP., FieldType=WPA <- Look here
UINT8 ElementID: Vendor Specific Information
UINT8 Length: 24 (0x18)
OUI OUI: MICROSOFT CORP. <- And here
+ WiFiWPA WPA: 0x1 <- And here
UINT32 FCS: 0x2103292

Could those fields when parsed by wifi protocol parser and passed to the management layer be a reason for connection failure.
What if WiFi field is set to WEP value?

>>>I understood that Android OS has some 'WAN Ping Blocking' functionality>>>
I do not think that it is related to your wifi adhoc mode connection problem.It is simply router's option to block incoming ( from the WAN direction) IP protocol ping packet.

>>>It is similar to my case but I have a problem with Android tablet which can't connect to a Windows
'Security-enabled computer-to-computer' Wi-Fi network with many Windows desktop computers.>>>
It is partially similar case the main difference is that you are dealing with peer2peer connection type so Wan ping blocking is not relevant to you.

Hi Iliya,

>>>> I wonder who declared WEP as the outdated technology?
>>
>>WEP cipher was broken more than 10 years ago by israeli cryptograph Adi Shamir.
>>During my tests with Aircrack suite i was able to break that cipher in less than 3 seconds.

That is a very useful piece of information! Thanks.

>>...I strongly advise you to consult an actual wifi protocol parser implementation.It can be found in NetMon under parsers tab.
>>I hope that parser wifi parser implementation will be very helpful to you when you will be forced to look through the Android
>>wifi stack implementation.
>>...
>>Now please look at few examples of live "ManagementProbe response"...

I will do another set of tests and I will describe my set ups ( especially for Microsoft Network Monitor ). Would you be able to guide me?

>>...
>>Now please look at few examples of live "ManagementProbe response"...
>>...
>>Frame: Number = 72, Captured Frame Length = 148, MediaType = WiFi
>>- WiFi: [ ManagementProbe response] ...R... RSSI = -84 dBm, Rate = Data Rate Cannot be Determined...
>>- WiFiMetadata MetaData: RSSI = -84 dBm, Rate = Data Rate Cannot be Determined: Nonstandard Data Rate used...
>>...
>>Could those fields when parsed by wifi protocol parser and passed to the management layer be a reason for connection failure.
>>What if WiFi field is set to WEP value?

Did you get it with Microsoft Netwotk Monitor or with some another network utility?

>>...
>>http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/p2p/package-summ...
>>
>>...Provides classes to create peer-to-peer (P2P) connections with Wi-Fi Direct...

Does Microsoft support Wi-Fi Direct?

Regarding this forum thread, here are the responses from Intel Android WiFi team:

It seems that you are trying to use ad-hoc/IBSS on stock ICS. Android doesn't really support ad-hoc networking completely. Android ICS does not support ad-hoc networking out of the box. There are various well-documented workarounds online including rooting the device and switching to another ROM, or modifying wpa_supplicant. If the devices is rooted, you may be able to tweak the supplicant config file to force ad-hoc networks to connect.  Its an inverse tethering situation that is not desirable.The new wifi direct may provide some ability but we are skeptical that this would apply to the 4.0.4 devices that are being discussed.

Alternately you may be able to try one of the ad hoc network enablers http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/google-android/3372947/connect-android...

WiFi Direct should be functional in both ICS and Jellybean. It is not, to our knowledge, compatible with ad-hoc.

Here is the link to the relevant Google bug:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=82

If you would like to do more dig on this topic, you can ask questions at:
Intel wireless community at: http://communities.intel.com/community/tech/wireless?iid=subhdr+communit...
Or Google Android Developer forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/android-developers
You can also go to Samsung Android Developer Forum: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/ to post questions ( and answers).You will for sure get responses from people on this topic on those forums.

We encourage you to write articles, blogs on Android* Applications on Intel Architecture and post questions (and answers!) on this forum which is dedicated to helping developers of Android Applications to get the most out of running on Intel architecture. You can find more info at our home page for Android on Intel at:http://software.intel.com/en-us/android/

>>>Regarding this forum thread, here are the responses from Intel Android WiFi team:>>>
Thanks Tao for valuable information.

>>>Does Microsoft support Wi-Fi Direct?>>>
I think that only Win 8 provides such a support.
Please look at this post :http://superuser.com/questions/417888/how-do-i-connect-a-laptop-running-...
and this :http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11722891/wifi-direct-communication-be...

>>>That is a very useful piece of information! Thanks.>>>
For example I also performed brute-force attack against WPA2 cipher suite (in my testing environment) and the attack was unsuccessful.The passphrase was composed from 12 letters so one can expect a complexity of 22^12 various combination.

>>> will do another set of tests and I will describe my set ups ( especially for Microsoft Network Monitor ). Would you be able to guide me?>>>
Yes of course I will help you.But if you are interested and have a courage:) you can try some adhoc network enablers as it was posted by Tao.

>>>Did you get it with Microsoft Netwotk Monitor or with some another network utility?>>>
Yes it was collected by NetMon utility.

>>Regarding this forum thread, here are the responses from Intel Android WiFi team:
>>
>>It seems that you are trying to use ad-hoc/IBSS on stock ICS. Android doesn't really support ad-hoc networking completely...

Thank you very much (!) for your response, Tao, and I will follow up.

Best regards,
Sergey

Tao,

I have a question: Did you try to use Wi-Fi from Android emulator, for example, with Intel x86 Atom System Image?

Hi, Sergey,

If you are interested, and you haven't done so, please have try with Intel emulator, and use it to develop some wonderful apps, which is one of reasons what most people come to this forum for.

>>...If you are interested, and you haven't done so, please have try with Intel emulator...

Of course I will try it. I simply wanted to know that Android Emulator allows to use an existing Wi-Fi adapter on a Host-computer.

For example, Microsoft's emulators for Windows CE and Windows Mobile allow to use external devices, for example a COM port.

@Sergey
What have you decided to do with your wifi connection problem?
Will you use adhoc enablers or leave it alone?

Hi Iliya,

>>What have you decided to do with your wifi connection problem?

I will look at Android OS source codes and it is already on my schedule.

>>Will you use adhoc enablers or leave it alone?

I've already installed a Wi-Fi Advanced Configuration Editor on the tablet but tt didn't help. I'll keep you informed on my progress.

>>>I will look at Android OS source codes and it is already on my schedule.>>>
Will not be a better option switching to infrastructure mode?

>>...Will not be a better option switching to infrastructure mode?

Unfortunately No because a router will be needed. That was actually on a list of possible solutions.

>>>Unfortunately No because a router will be needed. That was actually on a list of possible solutions.>>>
In home premises infrastructure mode is the mostly preferred type of wifi network connection.

>>>>Unfortunately No because a router will be needed. That was actually on a list of possible solutions
>>
>>In home premises infrastructure mode is the mostly preferred type of wifi network connection.

Imaging a customer who runs some data acquisition software on a couple of notebooks and one tablet working on batteries somewhere in the field. There are no power outlet(s) to plug in a router. Another requirement is as less as possible hardware overhead.

>>>Imaging a customer who runs some data acquisition software on a couple of notebooks and one tablet working on batteries somewhere in the field. There are no power outlet(s) to plug in a route>>>
Using p2p connection type in the case as you have described in your post is the rightful decision.

>>>Another requirement is as less as possible hardware overhead.>>>
Hardware overhead of what?
If you are referring to some processing server to whom is connected tablet I'm sure that created overhead on the server side is manageable mostly by TCP/IP offload engine.Sadly you cannot eliminiate overhead of Interrupt driven packet processing,but it could be minimzed with the multicore CPU's albeit at price of synchronization.
Both modes of operation (p2p and managed mode) could have similar wifi stack processing overhead which is performed by wifi adapter.Here I mean lowest level of operation like modulation/demodulation that is performed in adapter's hardware and abstracted from OS and CPU.

>>>>Another requirement is as less as possible hardware overhead.
>>
>>Hardware overhead of what?

A router is considered as a "Hardware Overhead" and it is not related to some hardware interrupts etc..

>>>A router is considered as a "Hardware Overhead" and it is not related to some hardware interrupts etc..>>>
I see I was thinking about the something completeley different.

>>...Will not be a better option switching to infrastructure mode?

Hi Iliya,

Tomorrow I will do a test with a Mac notebook and our Windows P2P network. I'll provide all the rest details and results as soon as the test is completed.

Best regards,
Sergey

PS: Let's see if it will detect the network...

>>>Tomorrow I will do a test with a Mac notebook and our Windows P2P network. I'll provide all the rest details and results as soon as the test is completed.>>>
I will be very interested to see the results of your test.As you probably have known it,everything related to wifi connection boils down to the vendor's custom implementation of 802.11 and all of its amendments.

Hi Sergey!
Have you solved Bluetooth related problems?

>>...Have you solved Bluetooth related problems?

Bluetooth is working but it is not stable. As I already described some time ago it requires to re-boot all computers after some number of file transfers.

Wi-Fi test will be done shortly. I hope so.

>>>Wi-Fi test will be done shortly. I hope so.>>>
Ad hoc networking between Mac and Pc.
Please follow this link :https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2119641?start=0&tstart=0

Hi Iliya,

>>...Ad hoc networking between Mac and Pc.
>>Please follow this link :https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2119641?start=0&tstart=0

Thank you. There is a very good post from a user 'Sig'.

>>...Tomorrow I will do a test with a Mac notebook and our Windows P2P network...

I spent some time on preparations and verifying that our network is working and at least three computers with different Windows OSs are connected and, unfortunately, an owner of the Mac notebook didn't show up. I'll try arrange the test again.

>>> an owner of the Mac notebook didn't show up. I'll try arrange the test again.>>>
Are you referring here to adhoc connection type?

>>...Are you referring here to adhoc connection type?

Yes.

>>>Yes.>>>
Is not strange?
Could that be some "conspiracy" against the Windows OS.First Android and now Mac why those OS's designers could be interested in prevention of p2p wifi connection.It is simply unbeliveable.

@Sergey
Can you look please at my updated sine function's thread?I posted there very interesting issue rlated to the inline sse assembly.

>>>. I'll try arrange the test again.>>>
Did you perform that test again?

...
[ Summary as of December 17th, 2012 ]

A test with a MacBook ( Mac OS X v10.7.5 ) notebook was finally done and it successfully detected and connected to our Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi / Open / WEP ) created between several computers with Windows XP and Windows 7 OSs. The test was completed in less than 2 minutes without any issues and problems.
...

Tao,

>>Regarding this forum thread, here are the responses from Intel Android WiFi team:
>>
>>It seems that you are trying to use ad-hoc/IBSS on stock ICS. Android doesn't really support ad-hoc networking completely...

And it is proven already.

In the end I really don't know who should I blame for that incompatibility, that is, Google or Samsung? Even if I will look at "stock" source codes of Android ISC operating system I don't think I will be able to get a complete set of sources from Samsung.

Also, a test with a Blackberry device will be done some time later in order to verify that Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi / Open / WEP ) created between several computers with Windows OS is not just for Windows or Mac OSs. What I see now is that Apple and Microsoft cooperated and didn't try to create incompatibilities when it comes to applications of Wi-Fi networks of any types (!).

>>>A test with a MacBook ( Mac OS X v10.7.5 ) notebook was finally done and it successfully detected and connected to our Security-Enabled Computer-to-Computer network ( over Wi-Fi / Open / WEP ) created between several computers with Windows XP and Windows 7 OSs. The test was completed in less than 2 minutes without any issues and problems.>>>

It is good to hear that at least one non-Windows computer has successfully established ad hoc connection with the Win host.
Regarding your security settings why do not you enable WPA/WPA2 cipher suite?As I stated earlier in my post WEP had been proven as an unsafe and easily breakable.

>>...Regarding your security settings why do not you enable WPA/WPA2 cipher suite? As I stated earlier in my post WEP had been
>>proven as an unsafe and easily breakable...

This is not for applications in finance or defense. Too much time is spent already ( on WEP, etc ) and all data could be encrypted if it is really needed.

>>>This is not for applications in finance or defense. Too much time is spent already ( on WEP, etc ) and all data could be encrypted if it is really needed.>>>

If your data is not sensitive then WEP is fine.At least nobody will be able to parse your data with the Wireshark.

Hi Sergey!
Do you have any update related to Android ad hoc connection?
Regarding your AWE test app I have not forgotten and soon I will test it on Win XP pro.

A message to a forum moderator:

I don't understand why the thread was moved to Mobile Software Development forum?

>>>I don't understand why the thread was moved to Mobile Software Development forum?>>>
What forum was your thread initially posted in?

>>>>I don't understand why the thread was moved to Mobile Software Development forum?
>>
>>What forum was your thread initially posted in?

Android applications on Intel architecture

Web-link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/android-applications-on-intel-arc...

>>>Android applications on Intel architecture>>>

Do you have any updates related to your Android ad hoc connection issues?
Did you try various enablers?

Pages

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today