IPP H264 performance issues with multi-threads

IPP H264 performance issues with multi-threads

Dear All,

I'm developing a transcoding unit with IPP libraries. So, I need multiple instances of encoder and decoder. Especially with H264, it seems not to be scalable with a multi-threaded environment. With one or two H264 encoder and decoder instances (30fps@VGA), there is no huge performance problem. But, if I use more and more H264 encoder and decoder instances, CPU increases dramatically.

The only answer I found in this forum is "DO NOT USE OPENMP". But, the problem is that with Xeon E5620 @ 2.4GHz CPU, I cannot decode and encode a H264 30fps@VGA stream in real time without OpenMP support.

Please tell me if I missed something.

thanks

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello,
Disabling the internal threading is one way when you are using the nested threading case.
Another way to reduce the CPU usage is discuss here:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/high-cpu-usage-and-intel-ipp-th...

Thanks,
Chao

Thanks for your answers.

I've already tried to call IPP H264 functions with only one thread to avoid the nested threading case, but I cannot use the whole CPU fully.
I think disabling the internal threading is the only way i can use with multiple instances of H264 encoder & decoder.
If you have any experience with multiple instances of H264 encoder & decoder, please tell me.

thanks,
Karl

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today