Trying to install Intel Fortran 9.0

Trying to install Intel Fortran 9.0

Philip S.'s picture

I have a code package of about 10,000 lines of Fortran, developed over the past 30 years. The GUI for the package is currently an F90 QuickWin application, maintained on a WinXP system using Digital Fortran 6.0. I bought a Win7 computer (HP, with AMD Turion processor) in November, 2008, and the program continues to work perfectly on that system. However users are now reporting that the program loses focus and fails to recognize mouse clicks. I suspect that this is due to Microsoft making incompatible changes in Windows calls, and I will have to update my Fortran compiler to fix the problem. [I learned about this change from the Release Notes of Intel 9.0]

I purchased the Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Version 9.0 some years ago, but was unable to install it at that time because I didn't have an appropriate Visual Studio or C++. I am now attempting to install under Win7 on my HP. Whatever I try seems to require prerequisites that I don't have. I sometimes get the message that the processor in incompatible with the loader, and sometimes I am told the installation was successful but I can't find any execute. I have in the meantime installed Visual Studios 2008 and 2010 Express, but neither includes the Fortran compiler.

Can someone tell me exactly what prerequsites I need, and what should be to procedure to instal IF 9.0 - or is that so obsolete it is impossible?

Thanks!

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Tim Prince's picture

Recent versions of ifort have included either (first) VS 2005 PPE or (more recently) VS2008 and then 2010 Shell, so that ifort can install with no VS prerequisites in the case where you don't need C++ compiler. ifort 10.1 (with update) was the first version with full Win7 support. So any version of ifort which supported Win7 fully would be able to run outside of Visual Studio.
If you are able to install 2005 Standard, you may be able to install ifort 9 32-bit for command line usage, but I don't know whether that would support QuickWin on Win7. You would have needed VS2005 Professional or higher for full functionality, and even then it wasn't tested on Win7. Such old software versions are no longer supported, so you would take what you get.

Philip S.'s picture

I said November 2008 but it was actually November 2009 that I got my first Win7 system. The more complete description of the processor is
"AMD Turion(tm) II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M600, 2400 MHz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logic..."
Also, supposing I get Fortran running, there are two Digital libraries I use. I see from a previous post that the QuickWin library DFLIB is supported as IFQLIB - How about the Dialog Box library, DFLOGM?

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

Intel Visual Fortran 9 did not include the prerequisite Microsoft Visual Studio bits. That started in version 10. If all you have access to is version 9, then you will need Visual C++ 2002, 2003 or 2005. There are no "Express" editions of these, though there was a "Standard" edition that was free - if you can find that, then you could use the compiler from the command line to build applications. You could build QuickWin applications too.

As for the CVF modules DFLIB and DFLOGM. Intel Visual Fortran provides those. You shouldn't need to make any changes. But please read http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/migrating-from-compaq-visual-fo...

Steve
Tim Prince's picture

By the way, Turion X2, which I guess is the same as your Turion II, has been compatible with Intel compilers to the extent I've heard reports, although it may not be tested as thoroughly as other AMD CPUs. The original Turion did not support all of the SSE2 instructions used by Intel compilers, so it may have been necessary to use 32-bit compiler with /arch:IA32, but that appeared to be corrected with Turion X2. It may still be necessary to set /Qimf-arch-consistency:true for correct run-time math library results, if you use the more recent compilers which support that option.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

Version 9 didn't have /Qimf-arch-consistency (nor /arch). It should be fine with the default (which is generic IA-32 code) in that version. Some more recent versions require SSE2 support just to run the compiler.

Steve

Login to leave a comment.