derived-type assignment (with alloc. component) in function call

derived-type assignment (with alloc. component) in function call

Ferdinand T.'s picture

Hello everyone,

the code below shows strange behaviour of an intrinsic derived-type assignment executed in a function call (when compiled with ifort 13.0.1).
Since I am not sure whether or not this code finally violates the Fortran standard, any advice and comments are appreciated!

module m
   implicit none
    type other_type
        integer :: i
    end type
    ! a type with allocatable and scalar data
    type :: my_type
        class(other_type), allocatable :: allocatable_data
        integer :: scalar_data = 1
    end type
contains
    ! returns a copy of a specific original type T
    function get_a_copy_fun()
        implicit none
        type(my_type) :: get_a_copy_fun, original
        original%scalar_data = 2    ! change original data
        get_a_copy_fun = original   ! intrinsic assignment
    end function
end module
program main
    use m
    implicit none
    type(my_type) :: t
    t = get_a_copy_fun()
    print *, t%scalar_data          ! prints "1" instead "2"
end program main

The last print statement should output "2" if the assignment was carried out correctly (at least, to what I expect - but I may be wrong), but instead I get the default initialized value "1".

Remarks:

• Reproduces ONLY if the intrinsic assignment is to the function output argument within a function, not in a subroutine or program statement;  and if the "class" keyword is used for allocatable_data ("type" produces correct results). Are there some restrictions that apply to function output arguments that I did violate here?
  • Executing the print statement on the result inside the function yields same incorrect result
  • It seems that the assignment here has the same effect as a structure constructor, e.g. without copying anything (also, allocatable_data on the lhs of the assignment doens't get allocated, if the rhs was allocated)
  • May this be related to the (fixed?) ifort issue at http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/287152 which now runs fine with ifort version 13.0.1? However, why does this only happen inside a function?

Thanks for having a look,

regards Ferdinand

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

I can reproduce the problem - it isn't the same as the other thread. I will escalate this to the developers and let you know of progress. The issue ID is DPD200240809.

Steve
Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

The developers told me that they recently fixed this problem and that the fix is expected to appear in Update 3.

Steve

Login to leave a comment.