Intel Compiler vs. Visual Studio 2010 compiler

Intel Compiler vs. Visual Studio 2010 compiler

Hello,

I rebuilt FFTW (3.3.3) with the native C++ compiler supplied with MSDEV 2010.

Then I did the same with Intel Compiler (Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013).

I ran 20 iterations of 1D FFT on a complax float vector (1024 elements).

The performance in both cases was the same.

Does it make sense ? I expected compilation with Intel Compiler will cause a much faster code.

In both cases I used the release version of the FFTW dll.

Thanks,

Zvika

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Rather than putting in compiler optimizations specifically useful for FFT, Intel compilers provide the comprehensive MKL FFT library.  You might check with /Qvec-report to see if important loops are vectorized, and employ restrict qualifier and pragmas if not.

It's important to verify that the source code is standard-compliant with respect to aliasing and set /Qansi-alias.  Microsoft compiler takes a middle position, trying to protect against incorrect aliasing but also performing some optimization (presumably with run-time checks).

>>...Does it make sense? I expected compilation with Intel Compiler will cause a much faster code.

Yes when compilation options, especially Optimize for Speed ( /O2 ), are used in both cases and instruction sets are also the same. My statistics: If difference in performance is about 1% it is not a concern. When it goes up to about 5% then there is a problem with codes generation of a C++ compiler.

Please provide complete C++ compilers command line options for both cases. Thanks in advance.

Login to leave a comment.