I/O issue by mixing f70 and f90

I/O issue by mixing f70 and f90

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me solve the issue I have with I/O when I mix f77 and f90 codes on ifort. So I have a package of f77 codes and the skeleton of the code, regarding the line at which I get the error, is like this: PROGRAM F77PRG IINPUT = 25 OPEN (IINPUT, FORM='UNFORMATTED', STATUS='UNKNOWN', FILE='input.bin') CALL FOO(IINPUT) END SUBROUTINE FOO (IINPUT) READ (IINPUT, ERR=100) INTGR END This code runs perfectly fine and the program reads the binary data from the file. Now, I want to combine this f77 program with a module written in f90, so I added the 'use' line to the top of the f77 program as: PROGRAM F77PRG use f90module ! only this line is modified IINPUT = 25 OPEN (IINPUT, FORM='UNFORMATTED', STATUS='UNKNOWN', FILE='input.bin') CALL FOO(IINPUT) END SUBROUTINE FOO (IINPUT) READ (IINPUT, ERR=100) INTGR END With this 'use' line (but not using any of the subroutines in the module), I get an error on the READ line, saying "forrtl: severe (256): unformatted I/O to unit open for formatted transfers, unit 25, file /mydirectory/input.bin." Compiling is done as follows without error: ifort -c f90module.f90 ifort -c main.f ifort -o mycode.exe f90module.o main.o Does anybody have an idea why this happens and how to get away with it? Thanks.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Seems like all the lines are connected... the following is a repost.

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could help me solve the issue I have with I/O when I mix f77 and f90 codes on ifort.

So I have a package of f77 codes and the skeleton of the code, regarding the line at which I get the error, is like this:<br>

<blockquote>

PROGRAM F77PRG

IINPUT = 25

OPEN (IINPUT, FORM='UNFORMATTED', STATUS='UNKNOWN', FILE='input.bin')

CALL FOO(IINPUT)

END

SUBROUTINE FOO (IINPUT)

READ (IINPUT, ERR=100) INTGR

END

</blockquote>

This code runs perfectly fine and the program reads the binary data from the file. Now, I want to combine this f77 program with a module written in f90, so I added the 'use' line to the top of the f77 program as:

<blockquote>

PROGRAM F77PRG

use f90module      ! only this line is modified

IINPUT = 25 OPEN (IINPUT, FORM='UNFORMATTED', STATUS='UNKNOWN', FILE='input.bin')

CALL FOO(IINPUT)

END

SUBROUTINE FOO (IINPUT)

READ (IINPUT, ERR=100) INTGR

END

</blockquote>

With this 'use' line (but not using any of the subroutines in the module), I get an error on the READ line, saying "forrtl: severe (256): unformatted I/O to unit open for formatted transfers, unit 25, file /mydirectory/input.bin."

Compiling is done as follows without error:

<blockquote>

ifort -c f90module.f90

ifort -c main.f

ifort -o mycode.exe f90module.o main.o

</blockquote>

Does anybody have an idea why this happens and how to get away with it? Thanks.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

There's really no such thing as "mixing F77 and F90" here - it's all Fortran 2008, really.

You don't show what the "f90module.f90" looks like. I will comment that it is often the case that when a user provides a snippet or paraphrase of the code, the actual code is quite different and/or a critical piece was missing. Can you come up with a small but complete example that demonstrates the problem?

Steve

Login to leave a comment.