Strange appearances when using enternel bridge for network setting.

Strange appearances when using enternel bridge for network setting.

Xiao peng W.'s picture

I am using MIC with the externel bridge for communication.
When I tries to configure an externel bridge, i found the 8bits cannot be used in the mincctrl command '--netbits=8'
# micctrl --addbridge=mybr0 --type=external --ip=10.x.x.x --netbits=8 mic0
[Warning] Netbits value 8 is invalid - using default value 24

Question 1: Is there any restriction here?

Then I manually changede folowing netbits from 24 to 8 in the default.conf
    Bridge mybr0 External 10.x.x.x 8 1500

After running of 'micctrl --resetconfig', I get a strange GATEWAY value in the './etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-mic0'
    IPADDR=10.10.10.1
    GATEWAY=10.2.0.4294967261

Qeustion 2: Why I get the strange GATEWAY?

After I manually changed the GATEWAY to the correct value, the mic could be booted successfully. The broadcast shows 'Bcast:0.0.0.0'. I added the entry 'BROADCAST=10.255.255.255' in the './etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-mic0', but it did not work too.

mic0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 4C:79:BA:2C:07:26
          inet addr:10.10.10.1  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::4e79:baff:fe2c:726/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:64512  Metric:1
          RX packets:3961 errors:0 dropped:471 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:119 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:756584 (738.8 KiB)  TX bytes:15631 (15.2 KiB)

Question 3: why the broadcast is: 0.0.0.0

Thanks.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Xiao peng W.'s picture

Could any one help me to take a look?

Frances Roth (Intel)'s picture

I'm definitely no expert in networking but let me get some more information from you and if I can't figure it out, I will find someone who can.

First off, I don't know what the proper behavior should be if you specify 10.x.x.x instead of a complete address. As I say, I am definitely no expert in networking. Could you educate me on this?

What are the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-mybr0?

What are the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0? (or whatever host interface you are using.)

Xiao peng W.'s picture

Thanks for your response.

What I mentioned '10.x.x.x' mens any IP which started with '10' like '10.10.10.1' that I don't want to leak the IP I am really using.

I am sure my configuration in the ifcg-mybr0 and ifcfg-eth0 are correct, since if I manuly fixed the issues I mentioned in the first post, the network works perfectly.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-mybr0
DEVICE=mybr0
TYPE=Bridge
ONBOOT=yes
PEERDNS=yes
DELAY=0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp

]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=mybr0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

BELINDA L. (Intel)'s picture

Hi, what version of the MPSS are you using?   If you are not using the latest MPSS release, can you update to it?

Xiao peng W.'s picture

The version I am using is mpss_gold_update_3-2.1.6720-13-rhel-6.2.tar, I think it's the latest one.

Taras Shapovalov's picture

> GATEWAY=10.2.0.4294967261
Yeah, this is a known bug in the latest MPSS. Intel guys have promissed me to fix this in the next MPSS update.

Taras
Frances Roth (Intel)'s picture

OK, there is a fix in the works for micctrl not accepting netbits=8 as a valid value (internal tracking number 4866782). As Taras said, there is also a fix in the works for the bogus gateway. Because you want to use netbits=8, your only workaround right now is to modify /opt/intel/mic/filesystem/mic0/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-mic0 as you have been doing - and then don't rerun micctrl --resetconfig because it will go back and change that file.

So, it looks like all the problems have been addressed (albeit you are now waiting on the fixes) except the weird broadcast address. When you said that setting the BROADCAST to 10.255.255.255 in the ifcfg-mic0 file "didn't work too", you meant that ifconfig still showed a broadcast address of 0.0.0.0 ?

Xiao peng W.'s picture

Thanks for your help. I did use the configuration files change to fix the problem.

Yes, even I set the BROADCAST to 10.255.255.255, it only shows 0.0.0.0 on the node.

Login to leave a comment.