running code on Opteron

running code on Opteron

Roman's picture

Hi,

I am using the latest Linux Intel Fortran 14.0.1.

I compiled my code using the following options:

-O2 -vec-report0 -axSSE4.2 -assume buffered_io -warn noalignments  -openmp

This code works fine on my computer.  I gave the executable to another user who has AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2384 CPU, and he told me that he is getting the following error message when he tries running the code:

"Please verify that both the operating system and the processor support Intel (R) X87, CMOV, MMX, FXSAVE, SSE and SSE2 instructions"

Does anyone know what the problem could be?  I am using the -axSSE4.2 option, but from what I have read, it should still work.  Should I remove -ax and try again?

Roman

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.
Tim Prince's picture

It looks like the cpu identification function is failing.   If the -ax option runs into trouble identifying the CPU, -x might be expected to fail as well.

You might try building with -msse3, as that would be the latest Intel instruction set supported by that and other AMD CPUs of the last 7 years, then there should be no cpu identification, except possibly in the run-time library.  You should be able to avoid any problems with run-time library by adding -imf-arch-consistency=true in the build options.

Steve Lionel (Intel)'s picture

That should have worked. Are you absolutely certain that those are the exact options you selected? In particular, did you also add -fast? (You shouldn't.) Yes, try removing -ax but if adding -ax gives this error then we may have a bug. Let me know what you find.

Steve

That error message ought not to be displayed when -ax is used. For non-Intel CPUs, it would simply take the generic code path (which is SSE2 by default, changeable with -m). If this is not working correctly, we want to know about it.

Steve
Roman's picture

I have just checked, and the options I told you about previously are the ones used to compile and link all source files.  I'll try without the -ax and see what happens.  Sorry, but it is difficult for me to debug this since I don't have access to a computer with AMD CPU, and the person who wants to run my code is on a different continent.  I will let you know what happens.

Roman

Thanks. We'll do some testing on our own. We do regularly test on Opterons so it seems improbable that we'd have introduced a bug here, but one never knows.  For my benefit, would you please do a test compile with the options you stated and add -watch - then attach the console output from that compile.

Steve
Roman's picture

After removing the -axSSE4.2 option, I was told that the code now works on the Opteron computer.

I have recompiled everything with the original options and -watch.  The output is attached.  I have checked, and the compiled executable is identical to the one that produced the above error message.

Roman

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download watch-output.zip7.67 KB

Thanks - I'll have the developers check this out. Would you be willing to provide us with the executable? You can do it here, use "Send Author a Message" for more privacy, or use Intel Premier Support (please ask that the issue be assigned to me.)

Steve

One more question - do you know if your customer is running this under a virtual machine? I know some VMs deliberately mis-report the CPU capabilities.

Steve

Please ask your customer to download and run CPU-Z in the environment where the application is run, and to send you a screenshot of the first screen (as shown on the web site). Then attach that here.

Steve
Roman's picture

CPU-Z in a Windows, not Linux utility.  Would the output of /proc/cpuinfo be useful?

Oh, right. Sorry.  I see that Linux has a cpuid command - maybe that would help. I want to see what the processor says its capabilities are. And if you can get an answer to the VM question that would help.

Steve
Roman's picture

I asked about the virtual machine, and I was told that he is not using it.   Can you see if the attached file has the information you need about the CPU.

Roman

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download cpuinfo.zip840 bytes

Thanks - that was helpful. I will now escalate this to the developers fror investigation. Issue ID is DPD200249585.

Steve

If you add -msse2 (along with -axSSE4.2), it should work. I'm discussing this with the developers now.

Steve

I removed my previous reply as it may not end up being correct. The workaround I suggested is valid. Stay tuned.

Steve

Ok, final answer. This is a bug and is expected to be fixed in Update 2, scheduled for January. Adding -msse2 is a workaround for 32-bit compiles. You may need to use -msse3 for 64-bit.

Steve
Roman's picture

Thanks for the information.  Do you know if this bug also exists in the Windows Fortran compiler, or is it only in Linux?

It exists on Windows as well. On Windows, use /arch:sse2 or /arch:sse3 as workarounds.

Steve

It did get fixed in Update 2.

Steve

Login to leave a comment.