HAXM install fails - XD is not turned on

HAXM install fails - XD is not turned on

I have an Intel E5300 processor and an Asus P5QPL-AM motherboard. The Intel Processor Identification Utility reports:

Execute Disable Bit: Yes
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes

In the BIOS I have Intel Virtualization and Execute-Disable Bit Capability enabled and I am running the latest BIOS version.

The message I am getting is:

'This computer meets the requirements for HAXM, but Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) is not turned on. HAXM can be installed, but will not work until XD is enabled.'

It then doesn't install HAXM despite what the message says. I have attached the HAXM install log and the complete Processor Identification Utility report.

AttachmentSize
Download haxm_install_log.txt257.44 KB
Download HAXM_spec.txt1.08 KB
9 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

This is strange how HAXM install logic fails to read the crucial data virtualization and XD bit settings.

Hi Geoff,

can you try to reboot your system and install HAXM again? I found this in your log file:

MSI (s) (44:78) [15:56:44:648]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:WindowsInstallerMSI4E05.tmp, Entrypoint: CheckHAXStatus
CheckHAXStatus: Looking for existing reboot marker: C:UsersGeoffAppDataLocalTemp{7824FFE2-E5BE-4530-91AA-C1F442FD4A83}_reboot_required
This computer meets the requirements for HAXM, but Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) is not turned on. HAXM can be installed, but will not work until  XD is enabled.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more information.
MSI (s) (44!70) [15:56:54:235]: Product: Intel® Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager -- This computer meets the requirements for HAXM, but Intel Execute Disable Bit (XD) is not turned on. HAXM can be installed, but will not work until  XD is enabled.

Let me know if this helped.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks Alex,

I have re-booted and re-run but still the same error message. I have attached the new log file.

Geoff

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download haxm_install_log_0.txt257.54 KB

Hi Geoff,

thanks for your feedback. I will escalate this internally to get feedback from the developers on this issue. 

Thanks,
Alex

Hi Goeff,

can you execute the following command line as administrator and reboot?

bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOn 

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks Alex. That solved it! Also when I came to re-boot I found a Windows update waiting to run (for IE 11). I have attached the log of the successful run.

Thanks very much for your prompt assistance. It is very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Geoff

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download haxm_install_log_1.txt203.1 KB

@Geoff

If you have Win 8 then bcdedit is locked by default.

Quote:

Geoff D. wrote:
Thanks Alex. That solved it! 

I'm happy that I could help and your issue is solved now :-)

Thanks,
Alex

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today