micinfo returns a lot of NotAvailable

micinfo returns a lot of NotAvailable

Hi,

I am updating the flash version of my MIC boards following the instruction in readme-en.txt.

In step 2

2) Run from the command prompt:
            user_prompt> sudo /opt/intel/mic/bin/micflash -update -device all

I got some message like "micflash: mic0: Flash operation timed out". But  after rebooting, I can verify the falsh version by " /opt/intel/mic/bin/micflash -getversion -device all", which returns "mic0: Version: 2.1.02.0386", meaning that the flash version is updated. Then I go on to step 6

6) Run from the command prompt:
            user_prompt> sudo /opt/intel/mic/bin/micflash -update \
                         -smcbootloader -device all

where I got ""micflash: mic0: Flash operation timed out" again. After rebooting the host machine and making the sure MIC boards are online, I did "/opt/intel/mic/bin/micinfo" and got flash version, along with a lot of other entries, all being NotAvailable.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! Let me know if you need any more information.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I'm afraid I'm confused. The section of the readme that describes updating flash has only 3 steps in it.  Also, with the latest MPSS release, micflash is in /usr/bin not /opt/intel/mic/bin. Could you tell me what version of the MPSS you are installing?

As far as the Not Available messages from micinfo, if you run the command as anything other than root, micinfo intentionally does not provide some of the more low level information.

Thanks for replying. i am using mpss_gold_update_3-2.1.6720-13-rhel-6.3.tar, which was downloaded half a year ago and passed my test at that time. Do you think I should use the latest version?

Also, I am using root to view micinfo.

You may try restarting mpssd daemon, then running micinfo again.

Quote:

Alexei K. wrote:

You may try restarting mpssd daemon, then running micinfo again.

Thanks for your suggestion. But after restarting, the output of micinfo stays the same.

If you run micinfo as root, then you should not be seeing NotAvailable messages, even though you are still using the older version of the MPSS. 

But, yes, I would recommend that you install the latest version of the MPSS even if the NotAvailable messages go away when you run micinfo as root. There are some significant changes between the version you are running and the latest version. Don't forget to do an uninstall of the previous system, as described in the install instruction. 

If you get NotAvailable messages after you update and even if you run micinfo as root, then we can look at the problem some more. 

Quote:

Frances Roth (Intel) wrote:

If you run micinfo as root, then you should not be seeing NotAvailable messages, even though you are still using the older version of the MPSS. 

But, yes, I would recommend that you install the latest version of the MPSS even if the NotAvailable messages go away when you run micinfo as root. There are some significant changes between the version you are running and the latest version. Don't forget to do an uninstall of the previous system, as described in the install instruction. 

If you get NotAvailable messages after you update and even if you run micinfo as root, then we can look at the problem some more. 

Thanks for replying. I switched to the latest version of MPSS. Now things get better, but there's still one issue left. I have two mic boards on the host machine, one of which returned "SMC update failed: SMC buffer size exceed(0x1)" when doing flash updating, and this one finally still shows a lot of NotAvailble in micinfo. The other one, although returning "Flash operation timed out" when doing flash updating, now shows correct information in micinfo.

Do you have any idea about the  "SMC update failed: SMC buffer size exceed(0x1)" error? In the previous version of MPSS, i remember that the readme file says we can ignore this error, right?

There is a lovely Flash update FAQ posted with the forum issue http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/494772. Unfortunately, I think you may have reached the point where you need to contact customer support. Let them know about the problems with both cards. I don't believe there is anything more we can do here.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today