offload error: cannot load library to the device 0 (error code 24)

Hi,

I am trying to run the offload example available in /opt/intel/composerxe/Samples/en_US/C++/mic_samples/intro_sampleC/. However, I get the following error:

$ ./intro_sampleC.out
Samples started
Checking for Intel(R) Xeon Phi(TM) (Target CPU) devices...

Number of Target devices installed: 1

Offload sections will execute on: Target CPU (offload mode)

I must add that I recently upgraded my mpss to version 3.1.2.

I have tried to go through manuals to figure out if I performed some step wrong and also looked in the forum and other places if anyone has reported this error. Some people have reported a similar error but with different error codes (5, 20), but I couldn't find any forum with the exact same one. It will be great if someone can help me on this issue.

Thanks,

Sanchit

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I’m not sure you have done anything wrong. According to my own antidote (here), this suggests COI_INVALID_FILE. I have received only one (internal) report of this error in the past.

What is your host OS name and version?
What is the version of the compiler used (icc -V)?

I will try MPSS 3.1.2 to see if this is reproducible.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your message. Here are the details you asked for:
$ icc -V
Intel(R) C Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.1.106 Build 20131008
Copyright (C) 1985-2013 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Hi Sanchit -  Thank you for those details.

I upgraded to MPSS 3.1.2 under the same host OS and using the same Composer the samples run successfully so it appears there is something unique about your system/setup that's trigger the error.

Where there any signs of trouble upgrading to MPSS 3.1.2?
Can you post the output of micinfo?

Hi Kevin,

Please find the output of micinfo below.

$ micinfo
MicInfo Utility Log

Created Wed Jan 29 23:08:27 2014

System Info
HOST OS : Linux
OS Version : 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64
Driver Version : 3.1.2-1
MPSS Version : 3.1.2
Host Physical Memory : 16410 MB

Device No: 0, Device Name: mic0

Version
Flash Version : 2.1.02.0390
SMC Firmware Version : 1.16.5078
SMC Boot Loader Version : 1.8.4326
uOS Version : 2.6.38.8+mpss3.1.2
Device Serial Number : IWKC21900133

Board
Vendor ID : 0x8086
Device ID : 0x225c
Subsystem ID : 0x2500
Coprocessor Stepping ID : 1
PCIe Width : x16
PCIe Speed : 5 GT/s
PCIe Max payload size : 256 bytes
PCIe Max read req size : 4096 bytes
Coprocessor Model : 0x01
Coprocessor Model Ext : 0x00
Coprocessor Type : 0x00
Coprocessor Family : 0x0b
Coprocessor Family Ext : 0x00
Coprocessor Stepping : B0
Board SKU : ES2-P/A/X 1750
ECC Mode : Enabled
SMC HW Revision : Product 300W Active CS

Cores
Total No of Active Cores : 61
Voltage : 955000 uV
Frequency : 1090909 kHz

Thermal
Fan Speed Control : On
Fan RPM : 2700
Fan PWM : 50
Die Temp : 41 C

GDDR
GDDR Vendor : Elpida
GDDR Version : 0x1
GDDR Density : 2048 Mb
GDDR Size : 7936 MB
GDDR Technology : GDDR5
GDDR Speed : 5.500000 GT/s
GDDR Frequency : 2750000 kHz
GDDR Voltage : 1501000 uV

Thank you. That all looks good.

I have another lead. I just re-created this error by intentionally corrupting a known file (offload_main) that is loaded to the card when the sample starts. I’m wondering if perhaps this file on your system has somehow become corrupted. It is a part of the Composer XE 2013 SP1 “lib/mic” collection.

Can you paste into a reply the output of this command:   ls -l /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1/lib/mic/offload_main

If you happen to have an earlier Composer XE 2013 SP1 version still installed, could you try building the sample using it to see whether the error persists?

Thanks Kevin. Here is the information you asked for.

$ ls -l /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1/lib/mic/offload_main
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 39668 Oct 11 14:07 /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1/lib/mic/offload_main

I don't have any installation of previous versions of composer_xe_2013_sp1.

Hi Sanchit,

Having not heard from you further, either here or in reply to my private message, I am hoping that means you resolved this issue. If you did resolve this then I am curious to know what you found was the cause and/or what you did to resolve this issue. If the issue is not resolved, then please look to my private reply and I will try to be of further help in resolving this.

Thank you,
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your suggestions and follow up. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try your suggestion. I moved to a different machine since I had issues with the previous one. The new machine works seamlessly. :)

I will try to use the older machine and try your idea and get back to you.

Thanks,

Sanchit

Hi Sanchit, good to hear back from you. Glad to hear you have another system to use and since you have that convenience then for the system having this issue I suggest uninstalling both the Intel Composer XE and MPSS and re-installing them again. While it seems like some aspects are working on this problematic system, I don't think it’s worth trying to dissect the issue if you can clear the problem by reinstalling those two packages. You probably also know there is a new Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 2 available now also. Not required that you upgrade for the problematic system, just wanted to note its availability.

Login to leave a comment.