Inserting images

Inserting images

Steve,

In this forum, on a different thread, a poster asked how to insert a screenshot. You replied:

The best way to include a screen capture is to use a service such as imgur.com to upload a capture and then use the "picture" button here to insert the picture. You can also attach a .jpg or .bmp file when posting here, but you can't insert it inline until after you submit the post (and the re-edit).

I found the first way is awkward and it puts more 'crap' on the internet.

I've never heard of the second way. I will give it a try on this post.

Jim

www.quickthreadprogramming.com
23 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hmm, clicking Submit provided an "Edit" link, performing Alt-PrtScrn on window removed "Edit" link.

Will try again (with screenshot in paste buffer)

(unable to past directly)

Jim Dempsey

testing testing 123. image to follow

[img]15217032.jpg[/img]

[img]http://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/styles/media_thumbnail/pub...

It'll be very nice if the forum allowed inline insertion of images.

Previously I've tried both the approaches suggested by Steve, but have not been successful.

Also, I get the Edit option only for comments, not when I first create a topic.  So that would limit the applicability of the second way even if it were to work.

Tried a couple of things and failed miserably :-(

Looks like the image file cannot be embedded with a paste. IOW you have to upload it somewhere separate from the post, then worry about link getting broken later when site cleans out the junk, or, as I've experienced here on IDZ when they rearranged the website, my technical article links all broke.

Jim Dempsey

Upload the image file to the forum with your post.  Copy the link in the post to the image file.  Then edit your post and use that link as an inline image.

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download Image.png36.66 KB

Testing again....

[img][/img]

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download Capture_0.GIF9.27 KB

@ian

I did not quite follows your steps I:

1. Upload the image file to the forum with your post.  

2. Submitted the post.

3. Edit the post

4. right clicked on the attachment icon at the bottom of the post and selected 'copy image url'

5. added some open and close img tags in the post and pasted the URL

As you see I get the url text in the image tags, which is the bit that is wrong?

EDIT

The bit that is wrong is step 4) you right click and do 'copy image' rather than 'copy image url'

You then paste into the post, you do not need tags it adds some.

What a load of oblox!

Testing testing

More testing

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download dovedale.GIF120.49 KB

The "namespace" for files uploaded to the forums seems as if it could get a bit crowded - shared across all users and across all Intel forums?

I just use the copied url of the uploaded/attached file in the URL field of the image properties dialog that pops up when you click the little "photo of a mountainous landscape" icon above the comment edit box.

More More More testing

Did it that way as well the result if you preview and look at the html in the edit box is exactly the same, unless I am missing something?

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download dovedale_0.GIF120.49 KB

The forum is currently putting all attachments into the same folder, adding a number for disambiguation. This is not the way it's supposed to work and I reported the issue a while back. I'll check again to see what the progress is.

You have to get the URL of the image in the displayed post, NOT on the Edit page. I've asked for a simpler way to do this.

Steve

@Steve.

Got the point on the URL I think. It goes without saying that it is a bit "user hostile".

In relation to the 'personal folder' where all attachments seem to end up, if one deletes something I presume it then 'breaks' any post that contained that information? I haven't tried...

EDIT I note that the "dovedale" image I used in a couple of posts above doesn't actually show in the "my files" folder which is more what I would expect.

Comments #7 through #15 would be applicable when one is replying to a topic.

I assume Steve's suggested method 1 (e.g., imgur.com) is the only option for new topic submissions?  This is unless one is willing to spread a topic across mulitiple submissions i.e., an initial thread to start the discussion which will be without any images but which is followed soon by comment(s) that include the image(s)?

I'm with Jim and Ian on the concerns about the imgur.com option, but has anyone been able to get it to work?  I'd tried once, but did not succeed.

I'm pretty sure you can edit the initial post in a thread.  My recollection (possibly mistaken) is that's what you have to do to simply attach items - so to embed an image that is stored with other files on the forum, just edit the initial post twice!

>>just edit the initial post twice!

If you go off the web page, or do something benign like Alt-PrtScr to capture screen image of page, the "Edit" option goes away.

For this website to be an enduring system, the embedded images (and attachments) must reside in the same repository .AND. use relative addressing. Doing otherwise risks the loss of content. Embedding has to be easier than a 5-step hoop jump.

Jim Dempsey

Quote:

app4619 wrote:
In relation to the 'personal folder' where all attachments seem to end up, if one deletes something I presume it then 'breaks' any post that contained that information? I haven't tried

If it is possible to delete files, I have not found out how to do so, and I have tried. Sometimes, I want to upload an updated version of a file. If the update consisted of a correction, I should have liked to replace the old version with the new one, but this is impossible.

I have a related comment. In the "My Files" folder view that one can see by faking an attempt to attach a file to a post, I see ALL the files that I have attached, over a period of several months. There is only an iconic view, with no information such as date, file size, file type, etc. These attributes are, doubtless, stored, because one can rearrange the icons by choosing "sort by date", etc., but this information is hidden from the user. As it is, the file management capabilities provided are rudimentary and do not work well after one has uploaded more than a dozen or so files.

Several cloud storage sites such as Amazon Cloud, Dropbox, etc., provide easy-to-use interfaces for managing files. Some even allow previewing cloud file content before downloading, and allow files to be segregated into private and public access areas.

Another gripe about the posting facilities: as I was composing this response, I needed to reread app4619's post, to which I am responding. Unfortunately, while the "compose" window frame is active, I can only see the immediately preceding post, by Jim Dempsey. Similarly, when I am revising my own posts, I cannot see any other messages in the thread. This forces me to reopen the forum thread in another browser tab or window -- not good.

Further gripe

For each post in this thread, I receive two email notifications:

--------------
Greetings jimdempseyatthecove,
--------------- and -----------------
Hi jimdempseyatthecove,
--------------------

This is somewhat annoying

Jim Dempsey at The Cove

Quote:

IanH wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can edit the initial post in a thread.  My recollection (possibly mistaken) is that's what you have to do to simply attach items - so to embed an image that is stored with other files on the forum, just edit the initial post twice!

Can Ian or someone show how to edit an initial post?  I don't see that option.  Thanks,

I don't think you can edit a post after it has replies. You can ask an Intel person to do it if needed.

Steve

Simply matter.Just go your image upload file from your pc for the post then you should select the image link and paste into the post for posting and wait to see the link.

Login to leave a comment.