hpl-2.0 on 2 MIC cards

hpl-2.0 on 2 MIC cards

Hi,

I'm trying to run hpl-2.0(which is downloaded and compiled manually by me) on the Host system + 2 MIC cards. It fails with following error:

rank = 25, revents = 29, state = 1
Assertion failed in file ../../socksm.c at line 2963: (it_plfd->revents & POLLERR) == 0
internal ABORT - process 0
APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Interrupt (signal 2)

The mpirun command used is:

export I_MPI_MIC=enable

/opt/ics/impi/4.1.1.036/intel64/bin/mpirun  -genv  I_MPI_FABRICS=shm:tcp -n 24 -host da-1 ./xhpl.cpu.T : -n 1 -host mic0 -env OMP_NUM_THREADS=244 /tmp/xhpl.mic.T : -n 1 -host mic1 -env OMP_NUM_THREADS=244 /tmp/xhpl.mic.T

What could be the reason for this?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi San,

Let me investigate this issue. Could you give me the link where you download hpl-2.0 and how you compile it?

Thank you much.

Hi San,

I ran hpl-2.1 successfully on my system with two coprocessors. I haven’t tried hpl-2.0 yet. Below are the steps I did:

1. Get the hpl-2.1 source code from http://www.netlib.org/benchmark/hpl/hpl-2.1.tar.gz

2. Get the make file for MIC sent by Francesca from his thread posted here

3. Update this make file with your current Intel® compiler and Intel® MPI Library. In my case, I use Intel Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 2 and MPI 4.1.3.

4. Set env variables

# source /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.2.144/bin/compilervars.sh intel64

# source /opt/intel/impi/4.1.3.048/bin64/mpivars.sh

5. Build the application for MIC. The results are saved in ../hpl-2.1/bin/IntelMIC

6. Modify the previous make file to build the application for host: change MKL lib and include path for intel64 instead of mic and remove “–mmic” in the make file.

7. Build the application for host. The results are saved in ../hpl-2.1/bin/IntelHost

8. Transfer the application for MIC (/bin/xhpl and file /bin/HPL.dat) to the directory /tmp in mic0 and mic1.

# cd /opt/hpl-2.1-TEST/bin/IntelMIC

# scp xhpl mic0:/tmp/

# scp HPL.dat mic0:/tmp/

# scp xhpl mic1:/tmp/

# scp HPL.dat mic1:/tmp/

9. Transfer all the necessary MPI libraries to mic0 and mic1.

# scp /opt/intel/impi/4.1.3.048/mic/bin/* mic0:/bin/

# scp /opt/intel/impi/4.1.3.048/mic/lib/* mic0:/lib64/

# scp /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.2.144/compiler/lib/mic/* mic0:/lib64/

# scp /opt/intel/impi/4.1.3.048/mic/bin/* mic1:/bin/

# scp /opt/intel/impi/4.1.3.048/mic/lib/* mic1:/lib64/

# scp /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.2.144/compiler/lib/mic/* mic1:/lib64/

10. Enable MIC communication and configure MPSS peer-to-peer.

# export I_MPI_MIC=enable

# /sbin/sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

11. Finally, I run the command you want successfully:

# cd /opt/hpl-2.1-TEST/bin/IntelHost

# mpirun -genv I_MPI_FABRICS=shm:tcp -n 24 -host localhost ./xhpl HPL.dat : -n 1 -host mic0 -env OMP_NUM_THREADS=244 -wdir /tmp ./xhpl : -n 1 -host mic1 -env OMP_NUM_THREADS=244 -wdir /tmp ./xhpl

Just tested with hpl-2.0, I would like to confirm that the above procedure also worked when testing hpl-2.0 downloaded from  http://www.netlib.org/benchmark/hpl  

Thank you.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today