Upgrading SSD in Intel Haswell developer Ultrabook

Upgrading SSD in Intel Haswell developer Ultrabook

I have to say that, other than occasional power management quirks, I love the Intel developer Ultrabook.  I'm migrating to it as my go-to laptop and rarely fire up my beloved Lenovo W500 any more.

But I filled the SSD up fast and need to upgrade.  So I got a Sandisk 256 GB SSD, hooked it up to an external drive adapter and set about migrating the existing SSD over to it.

Or so I thought.  After spending around $100 on three different utilities, and trying numerous free ones, I cannot get a successful clone.  AOEMI Partition Assistant Pro did a good job with its Migration utility (although I was stunned at how slowly it ran), but even though everything was copied over, the new SSD does not show as bootable.  I am unable to find a utility that will resolve this.  I tried a migration tool from Paragon (http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/ ) that was much faster than AOEMI's and no luck there either... even though Paragon swears on their website that it will do the job.  Low-level cloning tools have also failed to create a bootable drive.

I'm being told by friends that this is an impossible task, that Windows 8 + UEFI will not allow anyone to completely clone one drive to another.  So are Paragon and others guilty of false advertising?  Am I stuck with having to install an OS and reinstall all of my apps and files from scratch?

If I have to do the latter, it can't be done from the Ultrabook apparently: I am unable to boot from any external drive (thumb, CD, etc).  None are recognized by the Ultrabook as a boot device.

Very frustrated here.  I can't believe this task is so difficult or even impossible... has anyone pulled this off?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I'm surprised Paragon didn't work - I have used it on other systems but I haven't (yet) tried it with my developer ultrabook.  I'd love to hear about if you find a solution.

http://www.themethodology.net
http://www.vancouvermobile.net

Quote:

Adrian Stevens wrote:

I'm surprised Paragon didn't work - I have used it on other systems but I haven't (yet) tried it with my developer ultrabook.  I'd love to hear about if you find a solution.

It's possible I may be wrong.  A friend tells me that GTP drives don't necessarily flag the OS partition as Boot-- even though, on my Ultrabook, the preinstalled drive shows such a flag in the drive manager.

I'm going to try actually installing the new drive and seeing if it boots even without that flag, and will report back.

Hi, i hope you were able to solve your problem about the SSD.

I also have one Intel Haswell developer Ultrabook, but only had 4 Gb ram, so i want increase it. Do you know if it´s possible?

Thanks!

Quote:

Ismael S. wrote:

Hi, i hope you were able to solve your problem about the SSD.

I also have one Intel Haswell developer Ultrabook, but only had 4 Gb ram, so i want increase it. Do you know if it´s possible?

Thanks!

I don't know about the ram offhand (I closed the Ultrabook back up) but I'm sad to report that the drive can't be easily upgraded, at least as far as I'm aware.  These Ultrabooks use a form of SSD I've never seen, very small with a connector much tinier than typical SATA.  There's room in one corner to house the Sandisk Ultra Plus SSD that I bought but I have not been able to identify an adapter.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm almost out of drive space...

I don't suppose you took a photo of the board?

Normally SSD are supplied as solder down devices or as pluggable modules using mSATA or even SATA.  The mSATA connector is exactly the same as the mini PCIe connector so you have to make sure what the connector is used for, i.e. you can't plug in a WiFi board in a mSATA socket and expect it to work.

David. 

On the continuing saga of this...

Thanks to folks like daflippers I came to understand that there are two typical form factors for these drives, and Intel is using removable mSATA.  I had just never encountered one before and had difficulty at first finding retail drives in that form.  But I eventually bought a Crucial M500 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ8RHMO/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), a SATA-to-mSATA adapter and prepared to migrate.

And failed.

It turns out the SSD in the Ultrabooks is formatted at 512 bytes/sector, and Windows refuses to allow me to format the new drive at less than 4K bytes/sector.  I can't find a cloning tool that can accommodate the sector size difference, either-- they all throw up errors and quit.

So right now unless I find information otherwise, cloning isn't an option.  I'm forced to reinstall everything from scratch, which is going to be a royal pain with some software I'm running.  Oh joy.

Hi Randall,

What tools have you tried?

I would try removing any partitions on the new mSATA SSD and try to install Windows 8 from a DVD.  If this works then you could re-install your data from the original mSATA SSD and re install your Applications.

As reinstalling everything is a pain I would also try using Microsoft imagex to capture your existing mSATA and deploy your system to your new mSATA.

David 

When I looked into it imagex was deprecated with Windows 8 and although it works with Windows 7.  For Windows 8 you need to use DISM available in Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK) for Windows 8.1.

I hope this helps.

David

David, thanks for the advice.

Here's where I'm at:

It turns out Intel is using M.2 SATA interface, not mSATA.  It's a smaller package.  I bought a Crucial 480 GB drive and having even more problems trying to get that working than with the mSATA-- which, as it turns out, I got working fine on my Lenovo W500 after a firmware update and a little hardware finagling- just installed Win 8.1 via DVD.

I had to get another interface card for the M.2, and update its firmware as well, but I did get both my Lenovo and the Intel Ultrabook to at least see it when using the adapter... but no go on either a clean install using the Lenovo as host or migration on the Ultrabook (can find no way to do a clean install with the Ultrabook as host-- no way to interrupt boot process with F2 or any other key for that matter, and Windows 8.1 install does not offer a way to select drive or partition if you're already booted).

When doing a clean install on Lenovo, Windows 8.1 either reports the M.2 SSD as being inaccessible due to GPT format, or, if I delete partitions entirely, it fails on partition creation with a 0x80070057 error... which Microsoft swears is due to antivirus interference but that's not possible installing clean from DVD.  So I'm perplexed there.

On the Ultrabook, connecting the M.2 drive via SATA to USB, I can do everything except a complete clone or specifically copying the Windows partition.  Complete cloning fails outright with a variety of vague, unhelpful errors depending on tool used, whereas partition copy fails on bad sector reported at 97% complete or higher or, if it makes it past that, with an error saying the partition was locked by another program.  Even if I didn't run another program.

I appreciate your suggestions but I got a little lost following Microsoft's docs on deployment tools.  I'm afraid I've gotten out of my element, and I'm probably stuck being unable to install the new SSD. It really shouldn't be this difficult.

Oh, and the ultrabook's AzureWave (Broadcom) wifi/BT card kicked it during the process, and I can't find replacements.  Thinking I'm just going to settle for my Lenovo and give up on the ultrabooks.  A shame.

Thanks though.

Hi Randall,

Well I've added M.2 to my 'memorybank' and I hope to do some tools for a USB memory stick to capture and deploy Windows 8 images perhaps this month.  It seems odd that you can't stick a clean M.2 SSD in the Lenovo and install Windows 8 from DVD!

David

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today