Looking for an Edit Descriptor Solution to a -0 indication

Looking for an Edit Descriptor Solution to a -0 indication

In a recent migration to X64, I noted a difference in display of small negative numbers.  These are numbers small enough that they are 0 to the number of figures requested.  In Win32, they used to appear as 0 suitably formatted as regards difits requested.  In X64, they appear as -0.  It seems totally trivial, however, it makes upward compatibility QA checks awkward because one gets a lot of "hits" in a text comparison of output which don't signify any real difference in calculations.

Of course, one can put in logic to set such small negative numbers to 0.  But I suspect there is an edit descriptor solution.  Does anyone know one?  I am looking for a way of getting a Fortran program to kill the minus sign unless there is non-zero content to display to the number of digits requested.  As noted, this appears to me to have been the default in Win32.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

It's also possible that you are using an older compiler version on Win32 - we changed the behavior some time ago of this because the standard requires the minus sign. I get the same results in 32 and 64-bit with -.005 rounded to one fraction digit. This has come up before - the best recommendation seems to be to write the value to a string, search it for "-0.00" (or whatever) and remove the minus before printing. You could build this into a function that is called from the WRITE/PRINT statement.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Nice thought, Steve,

And you were right about the old compiler.  The thought that this might be in play had occurred to me too.  I did it because I wanted to test the transition from Windows XP (on an old machine) using Win32 to Windows 7 on a newer build machine using X64 in one swoop.

In light of your observation, however, I settled for the Win32 to X64 test only.  I rebuilt the Win32 solution using Composer XE-2013 Sp1 Update 1, the same compiler and (Windows 7) machine as I used for the X64 build.  I hoped that I would then gev the -0's consistently in all compared calculations.  However, II still got the old 0's with Win32 (minus sign killed on small negative numbers which are 0 to the number of digits displayed).

I am unwilling to put manipulation into the programs for such a purpose as killing a sign.  So, for the QA exercise, I shall write a small utility to work over the output files and remove any such negative signs using something like the string manipulation you suggest.

I can understand why the standard would have made this change.  It communicates that the ostensible 0 displayed is actually a small negaive number which rounds to 0.  However, it would have been nice if the framers of the standard had provided an over-ride edit descriptor for ease of upward compatibility checks.

It's not really that the standard made a change, it's that we weren't doing what the standard required.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

I've got the same problem with QA since I started using IVF 14.0.

According to the documentation the compiler option "/assume:[no]minus0" should adjust this minus sign behaviour, but it now seems to have no effect, i.e. always uses the new standard compliant behaviour no matter which way the option is set.

Try:

/assume:nostd_minus0_rounding

That should help the output.

Thanks Lorri; that does the trick!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today