Error in ippiSampleLine Documentation example

Error in ippiSampleLine Documentation example

The ippiSampleLine documentation has a significant error that left me very confused as to how this method works. I'm not sure of the appropriate place to report these errors, so I hope someone from Intel sees it here.

The sample code is:

void func_sampleline()
{
    Ipp8u pSrc[5*4] = { 0, 1, 2, 3, 4,
                        5, 6, 7, 8, 9,
                        0, 9, 8, 7, 6,
                        5, 4, 3, 2, 1 };
    IppiSize roiSize = {5, 4};
    IppiPoint pt1 = {1, 1};
    IppiPoint pt2 = {2, 3};
    Ipp8u pDst[3];
    int srcStep = 8*sizeof(Ipp8u);

ippiSampleLine_8u_C1R( pSrc, srcStep, roiSize, pDst, pt1, pt2 );
}

And the sample output is given as: 9 3 18

It  shouldn't be possible to get 18 as the output, since the value 18 doesn't appear in the input pSrc data. This led me to think I didn't understand what this method was supposed to do. Eventually after running the sample myself, I discovered that this 18 is just whatever value happened to be in the pDst buffer. The reason this occurred is the srcStep of 8*sizeof(Ipp8u) is incorrect. The step of pSrc as created is clearly 5, not 8. Changing the srcStep value to the correct value yields the intended output of: 6 9 3

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

1)

This forum is the good place to report the issue too or  you can put your report to the IPS - http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/new-intel-premier-support

2) the only error I see in the example from documentation -- printf("%Result: d, %d, %d\n", pDst[0], pDst[1], pDst[2] );

this misprint would be fix.

3) you set the incorrect src step and do you expect the correct results? in the case like you use -- 8*sizeof(Ipp8u), you will out of memory and the output results would be different ... 

when  the srcstep set the correct value - all results correct.

Quote:

Gennady Fedorov (Intel) wrote:

2) the only error I see in the example from documentation -- printf("%Result: d, %d, %d\n", pDst[0], pDst[1], pDst[2] );

this misprint would be fix.

I was referring to the documentation at: http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/ipp/ippi/ippi_ch4/functn_SampleLine.html

which has the incorrect srcStep of 8 and corresponding incorrect results.

the IPP v.8.1 manual has been changed and doesn't contain this error.  

We will update the version of manual you pointed. thanks for the issue.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today