Devkit setup - wireless connection?

Devkit setup - wireless connection?

Hi guys, 

I'm following the IoT Dev kit guide

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/2a/e9/Intel-DeveKit-Tutorial-Guide.pdf

On page 7, it indicates to connect the host pc and the galileo to a router. I have a wireless internet connection, can you set it up without a wired connection?

Thanks

Conor

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

no time to put full details. Just some hints:

- you obviously would need to have a wireless adapter attached to your Galileo board PCIe

- you'd have to configure for your wireless environment [connman configuration file]and make sure WiFi is enabled on startup (rfkill unblock -> dependent on which version of image you are running either init.d or systemd script)

Good luck,
Matthias

Hello Matthias, 

Thank you for your reply. I have my Galileo connected to Wifi with a wireless adapter. 

To be honest, I am completely new to Linux and don't really know how to configure the wireless environment as you describe. If you had the time, I would really appreciate if you could perhaps post a "how to guide" of how to set up the IoT Dev kit guide with a wireless connection. 

I'm sure it would benefit other people also who do not have a wired connection but would like to follow the IoT examples on the website. 

Many thanks

Conor

I plan to write a blog in near future. Pls grant me some more time to write it up

Hello Matthias, 

That would very very helpful. 

Many thanks

Conor

Hello Conor and Matthias, 

Could you please post the instructions of how to set up the devkit with a wireless connection. It would be very help as I would like to use it but do not have access to a wired router as described in the getting started guide.

Cheers

Stev

Using a Serial terminal (PuTTY, TeraTerm etc) connected to the 3.5mm Jack you can follow the instructions on my blog at www.spider-e.com/wp for getting WiFi running on Galileo. Blog post is here.

You won't need to download anything as the drivers for some Intel cards are already in the IoT image.

Quote:

matthias-hahn (Intel) wrote:

I plan to write a blog in near future. Pls grant me some more time to write it up

Kenny nicely described how to setup Intel® Galileo low level Yocto uses the connection manager connman which allows to configure wireless access at a higher level. Pls find my blog on that at https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/04/25/wireless-galileo-on-yo....

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today