Are Update 2 for Visual Studio 2013 and Intel Fortran 2015 Beta Update 1 compatible?

Are Update 2 for Visual Studio 2013 and Intel Fortran 2015 Beta Update 1 compatible?

Are Update 2 for Visual Studio 2013 and Intel Fortran 2015 Beta Update 1 compatible?  If not, will the Intel Fortran 2015 Beta Update 2 (expected soon, right?) be tested and validated with VS 2013, Update 2?

Silly me, I should have checked on this before installing VS2013, Update 2.  I'm running into strange problems with inter-procedural optimizations (IPO) related errors while compiling code in Release mode, getting "out of virtual memory" errors with ALLOCATE statements in code that had worked reliably just before I upgraded VS 2013.

Anyone else noticing such issues or other problems along the same lines with VS2013 Update 2 and Intel Fortran?

Thanks,

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

It seems to work ok for me, other than a known issue with debugging 64-bit applications (see the other thread on this topic), but I haven't done extensive testing of larger applications. I am doubtful that installing the VS2013 update would have any effect on the compiler, as the compiler isn't linked to any of the DLLs that VS2013 installs. If you have a test case, please provide it.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Thanks, Steve, for the feedback.  A few details on the solution (sln) file I've tried out thus far in Visual Studio 2013 following Update 2 installation:

• it is mixed-language and has 3 projects: a main program in C# .NET, a DLL project in C, and a static library in Fortran.
  • the platform toolset selected for the C DLL project is v100 i.e., the standard libraries are based on Visual Studio 2010 (which is also installed on the machine)
  • on this machine, also installed is Intel® C++ Composer XE 2015 Beta, Update 1.

While trying out various things, I found out the program works okay if I change the platform toolset to v130 in C DLL project.

As I mentioned earlier, the above configuration was working fine just before the VS2013 upgrade.  The strange thing is that the errors/issues all appear in the Fortran side of things with IPO related errors while compiling code in Release mode, getting "out of virtual memory" errors during execution in Debug mode with ALLOCATE statements.  That's what made me post the question on this forum.

Anything you have noticed thus far that may explain the impact of the toolset on Fortran library projects?

I haven't noticed any issues other than the debugger. If you can supply us with a VS solution that shows the problem, we'd like to look at it.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today