output of gfortran compiler vs ifort compiler

output of gfortran compiler vs ifort compiler

This is my code and the name of the file is comp.f:

program comp

complex    :: x

x=(6.3,1.0)

print*,x

end program comp

If I compile it with ifort "ifort comp.f", when I run it "./a.out", this is the output:

(6.300000,1.000000)

If I compile it with gfortran "gfortran comp.f", when I run it "./a.out", this is the output:

(  6.30000019    ,  1.00000000    )

I need an "ifort"like output. Because I am working in some remote computer, I am forced to use gfortran. But the output is problematic because afterwards I need to read in the output in "Wolfram Mathematica"...so,

Is there anyway that I can get the output I would get with ifort, but using gfortran?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

If you want the output formatted in a particular manner, you should specify the appropriate format instead of using list-directed output. Secondly, note that when you are using 32-bit floats, 6.30000019 and 6.300000 are identical, with the internal representation Z'40C9999A'.

Thanks mecej4,

yes I supposed I needed to format that, but I have not been able find how to skip those blanks I get compiling it with gfortran. The book I follow for fortran programing is "Fortran 95 Using F" by Walter S. Brainerd, Charles H. Goldberg and Jeanne C. Adams. If it is a trivial thing for experienced programmers, could you tell me what would be the formatting way to skip those blanks and get an "ifort"like output?

P.D.: yes  know thanks, but I usually use double precission.

Best Reply

Here is an example. For the purposes of writing in a format that you desire, it would be good for you to read the chapters on I/O formatting in a Fortran manual or book.

program comp
      complex    :: x
      x=(6.3,1.0)
      write(*,10) x
   10 format(1x,'(',F0.6,',',F0.6,')')
      end program comp

This program gives the same output with GFortran and IFort.

(6.300000,1.000000)

Login to leave a comment.