Is it possible to floating licensing through internet?

Is it possible to floating licensing through internet?

Hi,

I have a floating license w/ 2 seats for intel fortran compiler. I set the floating license host server as a desktop at my office. 

My question is: Is it possible for me to use my laptop at home as a client and run the fortran compiler? I couldn't figure out how to do that. When I run the lmtools.exe on my laptop and do the perform status enquiry, it always says the following:

"lmgrd is not running: License server machine is down or not responding.
 See the system administrator about starting the license server system, or
 make sure you're referring to the right host (see LM_LICENSE_FILE)."

So what do I have to do to get it working? (My LM_LICENSE_FILE is set as "port@host", but I guess that's only for intranet floating licensing.) 

Many thanks!

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

An internet connection is required in any case between license server and client to run an Intel Software Development Product with a floating license. If internet connection cannot be established the borrow feature may be the solution. You can check out a license seat for up to 7 days from the server and use it offline on a laptop. On the license server however this borrowed license is missing for the period of borrowing.  

Please check out more info about license borrowing from this knowledge base article: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-flexlm-license-borrowing... .

Does this help?

Regards, Hubert.

Quote:

hubert-haberstock (Intel) wrote:

An internet connection is required in any case between license server and client to run an Intel Software Development Product with a floating license. If internet connection cannot be established the borrow feature may be the solution. You can check out a license seat for up to 7 days from the server and use it offline on a laptop. On the license server however this borrowed license is missing for the period of borrowing.  

Please check out more info about license borrowing from this knowledge base article: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-flexlm-license-borrowing... .

Does this help?

Regards, Hubert.

Thanks Hubert. Maybe I haven't made myself clear. Let me try again.

Say that my license server is a desktop at my workplace, with name "PC_LS". So this is the host name, specified in the license file. And I work with fortran composer on my laptop, named "Lappy". And the license file on my laptop takes the following form:

SERVER PC_LS <hostid> <port>
USE_SERVER

This floating system should work fine when my laptop (client) and my desktop (license server) are both in my office's network (an intranet). My laptop knows very well who this "PC_LS" guy is, because it can look up the name "PC_LS" in the intranet, right? But if I use my laptop at home, it can't figure out the identity of this "PC_LS" specified in the license file, because my laptop won't find any computer with that name in my home network, right? So that's the problem puzzling me. How am I supposed to do?

Should I configure the license file or some environmental variables in a different way, so that I can work with fortran composer on my laptop at home while my license server is located at my office?

Thank you very much!

Well, you can try to establish a live connection to your office network (via VPN or so).

But my recommendation is to check out a license whenever you leave your Office and use the borrowed license at home (up to 7 days; can be extended upon request). What's the usecase? Will the license seat be missing at the office while you check out one permanently for the time of home usage?

Hubert.

Login to leave a comment.