failure during conversion to COFF

failure during conversion to COFF

I am getting a "fatal error LNK1123: failure during conversion to COFF: file invalid or corrupt"

Can you suggest how I can proceed.

Thanks 

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The message is pretty much self-explanatory. Can you identify which file it is complaining about? Is it one you can recreate? I've seen this years ago when a user tried to link in an old 16-bit library, or one created by an incompatible compiler.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

The file just says LINK - so it is not one file, it is caused during the LINK.

I have compiled the program many times before without any problem.

Last week a problem was found on my computer that it wasn't installing windows updates - this has been fixed and several windows updates have now been installed. I wonder if this is causing the problem.

Ah, yes indeed! Are you running VS2010 without its SP1? If so, install VS2010 SP1.

I'm running Visual Studio 2010

Version 10.0.40219.1 SP1Rel

12 months ago, my computer stopped installing windows updates : After lots of re-installing the O/S, I ran chkdsk and found a disk error ! It could be worth a check.

John

Thanks John.

I ran chkdsk but still get the same problem. 

I have found this post: 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/391305

It suggests:

Just overwrite $VCDIR/bin/amd64/cvtres.exe in VS2010 dir with C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/cvtres.exe and overwrite $VCDIR/bin/cvtres.exe in VS2010 dir with C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/cvtres.exe.

Do you think this is the solution? I will give it a try.

It might help. cvtres.exe is the culprit. But this is supposed to be fixed by VS2010SP1.

Copying those files fixed the problem - thanks.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today