Internal compiler error with a derived type with a procedure pointer "container"

Internal compiler error with a derived type with a procedure pointer "container"

The following code generates an internal compiler error with compiler version 2015 Beta:

MODULE m

!..
   IMPLICIT NONE

!..
   PRIVATE

TYPE :: s

!..
      CHARACTER(LEN=:), ALLOCATABLE :: q
      PROCEDURE(fabs), NOPASS, POINTER :: p

END TYPE s

TYPE :: t

INTEGER :: i1
      TYPE(s) :: bar   

CONTAINS

PRIVATE
      PROCEDURE, PASS(This) :: f

PROCEDURE, PASS(This), PUBLIC :: s2

END TYPE t

INTERFACE

PURE FUNCTION fabs(This) RESULT(RetVal)
         IMPORT :: t
         !.. Argument list
         CLASS(t), INTENT(IN) :: This
         !.. Function result
         INTEGER :: RetVal
      END FUNCTION fabs

END INTERFACE

CONTAINS

PURE FUNCTION f(This) RESULT(RetVal)

!.. Argument list
      CLASS(t), INTENT(IN) :: This
      !.. Function result
      INTEGER :: RetVal

RetVal = This%i1

RETURN

END FUNCTION f

SUBROUTINE s2(This)

CLASS(t), INTENT(INOUT) :: This

This%bar = s("s1", f)

RETURN

END SUBROUTINE s2

END MODULE m

The output is as follows:

------ Build started: Project: TestFor, Configuration: Release|Win32 ------

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler XE 15.0.0.070 [IA-32]...
m.f90
C:\..\sor\m.f90(62): catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report
this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.
Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for C:\..\sor\m.f90 (code 1)

Build log written to  "file://C:\..\Release\Win32\TestForBuildLog.htm"
TestFor - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

FWIW, the above code compiles with no errors using gfortran 4.9.

Similar results with 64-bit ifort 15.0 update 3 and recent gfortran.  ifort dies immediately when it reaches function mp_f, even without optimization.

Quote:

Tim Prince wrote:

Similar results with 64-bit ifort 15.0 update 3 and recent gfortran.  ifort dies immediately when it reaches function mp_f, even without optimization.

Thanks, Tim.  It appears to have something to do with procedure pointer to a type-bound procedure.  My thinking is the code is consistent with the latest standard and gfortran is handling it correctly and efficiently, based on my unit tests.  However I'll wait to hear from Intel staff.

Thank you for reporting the internal error and for the convenient test case. I escalated this to Development (see internal tracking id below). Whether compliant or not (I’ll await Development’s assessment on that) the internal error must be addressed. The internal error also occurs when using our latest Composer XE 2013 SP1 Update 3 (14.0 compiler) too. I will post again after hearing more.

(Internal tracking id: DPD200358902)

(Resolution Update on 11/17/2014): This defect is fixed in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 1 release (2015.0.148 - Windows)

This defect is fixed in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 1 release (Version 15.0.1.148 Build 20141023 - Windows) now available from our Intel Registration Center.

Quote:

Kevin Davis (Intel) wrote:

This defect is fixed in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2015 Update 1 release (Version 15.0.1.148 Build 20141023 - Windows) now available from our Intel Registration Center.

Excellent, I just tried it out and it worked.  Thank you much,

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today