Catastrophic error when compiling

Catastrophic error when compiling

When compiling a program using the 2013 version of Intel Fortran on RedHat 5.9 I received the following error message

/tmp/ifort31HZxZ.i90: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

Is there any work around for this problem?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Please post the source file concerned, and state the compiler options used.

The major issue with red hat 5.9 is that AVX and AVX2 (including -xHost on an AVX CPU) aren't supported, although violation of that restriction shouldn't produce internal error.

Likely work arounds are to cut back on aggressive options or use a current compiler version.  If you still have internal error with a current release, as the message says, you are advised to file a problem report with a reproducer.

At an absolute minimum we need to see the compiler options used.  Also the specific version and build string from the compiler, via 'ifort -V'

Catastrophic error is a catchall for all sorts of problems.  This doesn't give us any more information other than the compiler aborted.

The options were

ifort -o module_bl_temf.o -c -O3 -ip -fp-model precise -w -ftz -align all -fno-alias -FR -convert big_endian   -openmp -fpp -auto -I../dyn_em -I../dyn_nmm   -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/esmf_time_f90  -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/main -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/io_netcdf -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/io_int -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/frame -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/share -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/phys -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/chem -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/inc -I/usr/local/include  -i4  module_bl_temf.f90

The source file is attached

Attachments: 

AttachmentSize
Download module_bl_temf.f9047.47 KB

WRF, it figures, I should have known LOL. 

OK, what version of WRF and I still need to know your compiler version:

ifort -V

I'll have one of our engineers familiar with build WRF to look into this one.

It is WRF 3.6

The compiler is

Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.2.144 Build 20140120

There is a known issue with compiling module_bl_temf.f90 that has since been confirmed as fixed in 2013 SP1 Update 3.

See this thread for details: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/506826

So, I should use a later version of the compiler.  The problem is that our compiler is registered to a person who no longer works for our company.  How can I transfer the registration to myself so that I can update our compiler?

Steve

We updated the compiler and still get the same error.  Now the compiler version is

Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.3.174 Build 20140422
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I cannot reproduce the error with Update 3. Something may be amiss in your environment. Try sourcing the compilervars script to ensure that the environment is properly set up.

--Amanda

[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ bash
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ source /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.2.144/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ ifort -V
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.2.144 Build 20140120
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ ifort -o module_bl_temf.o -c -O3 -ip -fp-model precise -w -ftz -align all -fno-alias -FR -convert big_endian   -openmp -fpp -auto -I../dyn_em -I../dyn_nmm   -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/esmf_time_f90  -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/main -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/io_netcdf -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/io_int -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/frame -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/share -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/phys -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/chem -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/inc -I/usr/local/include  -i4  module_bl_temf.f90
/tmp/ifort0JRLbR.i90: catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.  Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.
compilation aborted for module_bl_temf.f90 (code 1)
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ exit
exit
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ bash
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ source /opt/intel/composer_xe_2013_sp1.3.174/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ ifort -V
Intel(R) Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 14.0.3.174 Build 20140422
Copyright (C) 1985-2014 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$ ifort -o module_bl_temf.o -c -O3 -ip -fp-model precise -w -ftz -align all -fno-alias -FR -convert big_endian   -openmp -fpp -auto -I../dyn_em -I../dyn_nmm   -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/esmf_time_f90  -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/main -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/io_netcdf -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/external/io_int -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/frame -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/share -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/phys -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/chem -I/pln1/WRF/WRFV3/inc -I/usr/local/include  -i4  module_bl_temf.f90
[aksharp@orcsle127 phys]$

We have everything working now.  Thanks for all of your help.  You were wonderful.

Mark

Login to leave a comment.