Can debugger be used with .dlls?

Can debugger be used with .dlls?

I'm attempting to use the debugger for the first time, and I'm having trouble. I don't know if it's a simple problem, like improper configuration of my project, or if it is indicative of some kind of programming error. My compiled code runs from the Windows command line, for whatever that might be worth.

All the messages I'm getting are all in reference to .dll files. Some of them point out that the "Binary was not built with debug information" and other say, "Cannot find or open the PDB file". None of these .dlls are ones that I built, so I have no source code for any of them.

Is there an obvious reason for this, such as the debugger not liking .dlls, or is it more likely something else?

Here's the output I get when I Start Debugging:

'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\<myProjectDirectory>\<myProject>\<myProject>\Debug\<myProject>.exe', Symbols loaded.
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\<myProjectDirectory>\<myProject>\<myProject>\Debug\<third-party>.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imagehlp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013 SP1\redist\ia32\compiler\1033\ifcore_msg.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2013 SP1\redist\ia32\compiler\1033\irc_msg.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'<myProject>.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dbghelp.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
<myProject>.exe has triggered a breakpoint
The program '[41540] <myProject>.exe: Native' has exited with code 408 (0x198).

Thanks for any suggestions.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Ignore all of those messages - they're just informational in case you wanted to debug those system DLLs. Yes, you can debug your own DLLs if you want, but it doesn't look as if you want to do that right now.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Thanks, Steve. Quite right - I'm not trying to debug any .ddls, just my main program.

I need to find some tutorials on using the debugger - looks like I just don't know what I'm doing ... I'll return here if I can't figure it out.

We have quite a bit in the compiler documentation. But nearly all is pretty much the same as debugging Visual C++, so you could go look for Microsoft tutorials.

Steve - Intel Developer Support

Login to leave a comment.