idb removed in parallel studio 2015

idb removed in parallel studio 2015

What is the main reason to remove idb from parallel studio 2015? idb was extremelly important and useful tool with good interactive graphic capabilities.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Intel began designating idb as deprecated a couple of years ago, with a return to supporting enhancements in gdb for Fortran and Windows.  This seems to have removed debugger installation and jre version mis-match as a typical hangup for supporting linux, and may be an improvement in supporting builds including gcc.

A recent update of Intel's announcement on this subject:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/debugging-intel-xeon-phi-appli...?

Maybe gdb fit better with the trend toward eclipse support and need to support MIC debugging on Windows (my guess).  Don't see a single primary reason from here.

Michal & Tim :

Thanks for your notes.

This is important. I'm also using extensively with IDB. Since I'm planning to update soon to the Professional XE 2015 (Linux) - can somebody elaborate on what are the alternatives to IDB ? (GDB / Eclipse ? How to install those ?)
Thanks in advance,

Jack. 

The Intel fork gdb (gdb-ia) installs automatically with the current compilers.  I don't see fully documented which versions of it include eclipse.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/517869 indicates that Intel has resumed supporting C++ eclipse installation but apparently you are still on your own for eclipse with Fortran.

Tim,

thanks a lot for your answer, but I still feel a bit uncomfortable without IDB. IDB provides to me very good option for interactive and graphic debugging of fortran codes. GDB is only command line tool!!?? But, the main reason why I am so disappointed is the fact, that Eclipse does not support fortran officially. So ... this is another step how the Intel makes the life of Fortran programmers more and more difficult.

Best Reply

Michal,

I have not had time to test it fully yet, but Eclipse & Photran provide a GUI to GDB, which works happily with the gdb-ia version shipped with xe1025.

As far as I remember (I only did this once so far a few days ago), in Eclipse, you have to tweak the following:

Debug Configuration > Debugger > (check) Stop on startup at: main__

Debug Configuration > Debugger > GDB debugger: /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/gdb-ia (or whereever you installed the compiler)

IIRC, with this setup, inspecting values worked fine, even allocatable components of derived types etc. But as I said I didn't spend long enough with it to be sure.

HTH

Quote:

Alexis R. wrote:

Michal,

I have not had time to test it fully yet, but Eclipse & Photran provide a GUI to GDB, which works happily with the gdb-ia version shipped with xe1025.

As far as I remember (I only did this once so far a few days ago), in Eclipse, you have to tweak the following:

Debug Configuration > Debugger > (check) Stop on startup at: main__

Debug Configuration > Debugger > GDB debugger: /opt/intel/composerxe/bin/gdb-ia (or whereever you installed the compiler)

IIRC, with this setup, inspecting values worked fine, even allocatable components of derived types etc. But as I said I didn't spend long enough with it to be sure.

HTH

Thanks!!!

What version of Eclipse you are using?

This was with Kepler, which is not quite the latest version of Eclipse.

Hi Alexis,

Thanks for your note.

Just making sure here - your suggested plugin configuration is to see the GDB-IA intel GUI via Eclipse ? 

While the following link describe only adding Intel composer XE to the Eclipse interface in terms of compiling Fortran source files ?

https://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/stdxe/201...

Thanks,

Jack.

Jack -

I'm not sure I understand your question.

The page you linked to describes instructions for XE2013. I'm not sure whether these instructions are still valid & I don't remember following them.

IIRC XE2015 comes with a PDF in the documentation folder which describes how to use the gdb-ia with Eclipse and that must be how I figured it out.

Sorry this is a vague answer - I've not really spent much time on this.

Alexis - 

Thanks. 

I have tried to link this way the composer XE2013 to my new Eclipse-Luna (the latest Eclipse version) and it worked. It compiles Fortran source code. This is why I was curios why they might changed it in the new parallel studio XE2015.

Hope the XE2015 documentation will cover it all.

Cheers,

Jack.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today