C++ Compiler 15.0, type deduction issue

C++ Compiler 15.0, type deduction issue

The following Example code produces the compiler error "c:/temp/test.cpp(15): error: no instance of function template "f2" matches the argument list" using command line "icpc.exe -std=c++11 c:\temp\test.cpp".

template <typename T, typename U>
auto f1(U const& u) -> decltype(T())
{
    return (T()+1.1) * u;
}

template <typename T, typename U>
auto f2(U const& u) -> decltype(f1<T>(u))
{
    return f1<T>(u);
}

int main()
{
    auto dummy = f2<double>(2);
    return 0;
}

It compiles if we add template parameter U to specifiy f1 more precise.

auto f2(U const& u) -> decltype(f1<T>(u))

by

auto f2(U const& u) -> decltype(f1<T, U>(u))

while we can retain the line that makes the call (not adding U to the f1 explicite template params list)

return f1<T>(u);

Is this a bug? Thank you for clarification in advance.

Unfortunately, like http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/530399 states we cannot try the N3638 feature decltype(auto) instead.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hello Martin,

What's your specific Intel compiler version and Visual studio version? Let me try to reproduce the problem first.

Thank you.
--
QIAOMIN.Q
Intel Developer Support
Please participate in our redesigned community support web site:

User forums:                   http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/

Hello QIAOMIN.Q,

well, I'll try to answer:

>...specific Intel compiler version...

As the TOPIC title says we are using version 15.0. Still more specific? Unfortunately "...Composer XE 2015\bin\intel64_mic\Icpc.exe" itself has no embedded file version information. (Accompanying icc.exe in the same folder is version 15.0.0.0).

>...specific ... Visual studio version...

As DESCRIBED we are using icpc.exe from the command line. Without Visual Studio. (Apart from that: We would like to get rid of the MSVC++ compiler. It is unusable from VS2013 Update 2 and completely broken with VS2013 Update 3.)

If I didn't understood you right, please tell me what information you exactly need. Or please tell me if this command line works on your machine.

Best regards, Martin

Because "intel64\icl.exe" (which has the same reported issue) is more relevant for us at the moment I would like to demonstrate the configuration/procedure for this compiler version:
1) Open a standard cmd-Window (not a Visual Studio command prompt or anything like this).
2) C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\bin>iclvars.bat intel64 vs2013
3) C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\bin>intel64\icl.exe -Qstd=c++11 c:\temp\test.cpp

The compiler error is exactly the same as in my first post.

Version numbers:
The "intel64\icl.exe" reports "Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.0.108 Build 20140726"
The "cl.exe" reports "Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 18.00.21005.1 for x64".

Thank you in advance.

Hello Martin,

I have reproduced as you said and will enter this issue into our problem-tracking database.Thank you for submitting the issue.I'll get this posted whenever I have an update from our development team.

Thank you.
--
QIAOMINQ.
Intel Developer Support

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today