Compaq Visual Fortran 6

Compaq Visual Fortran 6

I am new to visual programming in Fortran and my questions are very basic. I bought Compaq Visual Fortran some years ago and did very basic QuickWin applications, but would like to start using the visual capabilities of the software. I bought the book of Norman Laurence on CVF and although it is a very good book, explaining a lot of the funtionalities of the software, I still donot understand how to get a simple program like e.g. temperature conversions to read inputs from ascreen and display the answer in a screen and to make use of menus, drop down lists, etc.

If someone could just help me with some very basic examples I would be very grateful.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

The Lawrence book has it all. Since you have mastered QuikWin you can skip the first five chapters. Start with Chapter 6 "Creating WIN32 API Aplications." Section 7.3 "Currency Exchange Example" is very similar to the example you mentioned. Create a WIN32 project framework and read the code generated. That will shed light on all of your questions about Windows messaging and the API. Also, CVF comes with a ton of sample code; for any imaginable applications.

I hope you have CVF 6.6C. All younger releases have serious bugs. I have been using 6.6C for years and have encountered no problems. I swithced fron MSC++ to Fortran seversl years ago and Have not regetted it. NO MORE MFC!

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today