Intel 82852/82855 still insufficient 1920x1200

I'm running a

. business line Fujitsu Siemens S7010 notebook

. with the GM855(=i82855) graphics chipset

. connected to Samsung SyncMaster 204B 1600x1200 display via DVI

. OS WindowsXP

That worked fine with the most recent GMA drivers v14.19.50 dated 2/8/2006:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=922

Then I bought an HP w2408 Display capable of 1920x1200. I recognized that regardless what I do, I could not get beyond the 1600x1200 resolution for this new display. After googling I figured the intel IEGD drivers should provide a solution:

http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?p=19876

Yes, indeed I got 1920x1200 running with both IEGD 5.0 and IEGD 7.0 (7/4/2007). It uses the DVO-B Port of the chipset to use the DVI. Still this windows driver has two very annoying shortfalls (besides some others that don't bother as much), which prevent me from considering the IEGD driver a serious way to go:

1. I switch between mobile and docking station usage. The Fn + CRT/LCD/CLONE keyboard switches are not supported in the IEGD driver and you are stuck with a black display if you hibernate while having an external display connected and wake up with nothing else than the internal LVDS display. You would expect a reboot and new display detection would fix the problem since you installed the driver with

HKR, ALL1General , DisplayDetect, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR, ALL1General , PortOrder, %REG_SZ%, "42500"

and for each port something like:

HKR, ALL1Port2General , Edid, %REG_DWORD%, 1

HKR, ALL1Port2General , EdidAvail, %REG_DWORD%, 3

HKR, ALL1Port2General , EdidNotAvail, %REG_DWORD%, 1

But that's not sufficient. YOU ARE STUCK! To walk around this problem I use IEGDGUI.exe switching to LVDS single display prior hibernating/rebooting if there is the chance that the next usage will be mobile without an external display. But I know ... some day I will forget. This problem seems to be recognized already:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=153347

2. Performance in 2D: This driver sometimes sucks 100% of CPU time and slows down screen updates dramatically. Switching tabs in Firefox 2.0.0.7 may last once in a while for 1 - 15 seconds. That's simply not acceptable. I found at least one other guy with a different chipset (Intel GMA945) who suffers from the same problem with that driver:

http://www.prad.de/board/thread.php?postid=284488#post284488

There are other applications as well that seriously suffer like TexnicCenter, Opera, ...

I assume some of the currentl
y non-visible but allocated VRam gets invalidated by the driver too early and upon reactivation of the VRam by some application, the application get's the notification that the Vram is not available and it has to reallocate and render again. This is a Windows specific feature - other applications e.g. Java2D library have specific strategies two walk round that problem by caching ... (I stop here, because I get OffTopic).

Okay, both problems really, really prevent serious usage! If there is no magic registry key that I'm missing here, then intel really has to do something, since this chipset is not at the end of it's lifecycle!

These are the solutions I can think of beginning with the one with the smallest implementation effort:

Solution 1:

----------

Get you EDID reading correct in the Windows GMA driver (not the IEGD)! Both of my monitors supply correct EDID information, which I can read by means of MonInfo

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Only the relevant part here:

Samsung SyncMaster 204B:

Display type and signal..... Digital

Timing recommendation #1.... 1600x1200 at 60Hz

Modeline................ "1600x1200" 162,000 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +hsync +vsync

HP w2408:

Display type and signal..... Digital

Timing recommendation #1.... 1920x1200 at 60Hz

Modeline................ "1920x1200" 154,000 1920 1968 2000 2080 1200 1203 1209 1235 +hsync -vsync

I can't get past 1600x1200 with this driver. It's not a VBIOS fault - MonInfo reads the EDID correct.

Solution 2:

----------

Enhance the Windows GMA driver (not IEGD) with a facility to provide custom resolutions - at least by a registry key. For later Chipsets (e.g. 915GM, 945GM, ...) this has been implemented in v14.25.50 such that custom resolutions can be used:

http://shareit.intel.com/WikiHome/Articles/111111431?themePage=printable

And actually even work with PowerStrip:

http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?p=19876#19876

Solution 3:

----------

Fix the above two problems in IEGD >7.0. I do not expect this to be a solution, since embedded requirements are completely different (e.g. no requirement for CRT/LVDS/CLONE keyboard switch).

regards,

7oby

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi, I'm going through the same ordeal and was wondering if anything better has been discovered?

My 82855 using laptop has drivers that don't allow widescreen resolutions.

The IEGD ones do, but there are more problems with them. The "shutdown monitor after 10 mins" on XP doesn't work, so the monitor never powers down. I also can't use the FN key to switch between laptop screen and externalLCD.

I tried IEGD v8.

Is there no way to add the working widescreen resolutions to the normal non IEGD driver?

jcro56:My 82855 using laptop has drivers that don't allow widescreen resolutions.

The IEGD ones do, but there are more problems with them. The "shutdown monitor after 10 mins" on XP doesn't work, so the monitor never powers down. I also can't use the FN key to switch between laptop screen and externalLCD.

I tried IEGD v8.

Is there no way to add the working widescreen resolutions to the normal non IEGD driver?

At that time I also tried IEGD v8 and had similar issues. You might give Vista a shot (or google if Vista helps if you don't want to try it yourself). But this product is EOL and Intel wont jump it. I also didn't find any hacked GMA drivers with Widescreen support.

Or install Linux (e.g. Ubuntu 8.04) and you should be using 1920 x 1200 just fine. Ubuntu has a Live DVD and if you connect the monitor it should work fine. If you reduce the colors depth to 16bit even fancy Compiz Fusion 3D desktop effects are possible with this old chipset. However I suggest digital DVI or HDMI output. since analog VGA @ 1920 x 1200 is just blurry and causes eye cancer due to the analog cable not being able to transmit ~150 MHz appropriately. If're stuck with analog VGA on your laptop, I suggest buying a new laptop for this external display. If you're geek you might play with reduced blanking / GTF blanking in Linux modelines. This will help to get the required bandwidth down and result in slightly better image quality.

Switching to Vista or Linux aren't options for me.

Did IEGD 7 also lack the ability to turn the monitor off for power savings after 10 minutesof inactivity? That is the main feature I lack. I can install the normal drivers when I need to take the laptop elsewhere and require the Fn key switching, but if I could have widescreen resolutions with monitor power shutoff capabilities(like using the utility "wizmo monoff") that would be good enough.

Hi,

I had similar problems, when switching between different modes on an embedded PC - waking up the screen after power save gave me blurred colurs. Afte wasting days I found out that manually setting the "attribute settings" with the parameters initialisation of internal (LVDS) and external (VGA) display finally worked as intended.

Maybe you will be able to find a solution tis way, too...

Ralph.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today