945gm T&L

945gm T&L

As we all know by now, we've all been screwed by computer manufactuers that install 945gm chipset to laptops. The 950 gma gpu doesn't support T&L and there's nothing anyone can do about it. At least Intel could though. Lets say they would write a driver for all popular OSs like WinXP, that would emulate the T&L support on the account of a CPU power. At least we would have a chance to play all those nice games that were made just for us, and maybe there would be no problems playing them, if our CPUs were fast enough, especially if we recently bought a laptop for a very lot of money.

So how about it Intel? Are you assholes or are you?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Sorry to say, but I think the "demands" by Intel graphics users are going way too far. Buying a laptop with integrated graphics that adds $4 to the total cost of the system without knowing the possible consequences is unfortunately, the users fault, the lack of knowledge when they bought the freaking laptop. Do you guys not know the meaning of "you get what you pay for"?? Out of the say, $1400 dollar laptop, $1396 of that was everything other than the graphics, and you did get what you want didn't you?? Except the graphics, you say. Sigh, that's why you research about the laptop before you spend your hard-earned money on an entire system with the $4 card.

Seriously, who expected even a Geforce 7300 gaming performance out of this one?? You pay $100 for a Geforce 7300, you pay for the price for a pack or two of gum for the Intel IGP.

It's not the 4 dollars David, it's the laptop that costed money. The thing i don't get is, that in a 2007 made computer, the worst possible graphics is built in. For a computer that i paid 1800 for, it wouldn't cross my mind to check twice for the quality of graphics chip. It just should be great, shouldn't it? And yes, i worked hard for that money. What you're saying is that, everyone should know that Intel integrated chip is crap. It's like everyone should know how many seeds there are in a corn. I'm very sorry i bought a dell laptop, when i should have bought a chinese made, for half less the money with still a better graphics card than an intel crap or at least with a built in possibility to upgrade! If they made it, they should put a big warning sticker on the laptop that says "this laptop contains a very crappy graphics chip". so noone would buy it. I believe that even dell does not know that intel graphics is such a crap.
So what intel could do is at least write a driver that would emulate the T&L support. But how can they do that when they can't even write T&L for a HW supporting chip. I know this, if they don't do something about it, a lot of people will never buy intel products again.

misterti:As we all know by now, we've all been screwed by computer manufactuers that install 945gm chipset to laptops.

No we haven't been "screwed". From reading just a single review about a laptop with 945GM you would have known that it is not exactly the fastest Gfx-chipset in the world. Apparently, you have failed to do even that. Do you do that with other products as well? It's like buying a Lada and then complaining that the engine is cr*p and that they screwed you because it's not as fast as in a Porsche 911.

The 950 gma gpu doesn't support T&L and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

There is one thing you could have done before: Inform yourself about the products you are going to buy.

Calling people names like in your first post doesn't get you anywhere.

You all sound so smart, but which part dont you understand?
Lada costs $100 and Porsche costs $10000. How would i complain about the engine for a 100 dollars car? If you read the post, you'd see i paid 1800 for the laptop and yes i expect it to run like hell as i would of porsche without reading the damn reviews first.
I know that calling ppl names wont get me anywhere, but i'm pissed and i feel i have a right to and they deserve it. So stop writing smart replies! Rather say nothing than say stupid things.
Intel knows that their chip is a screw up and at least they could try and help the screwed buyers of their defective HW to make'em feel better and write the damn driver that would (for the 100th time) emulate the T&L support. At least that...

If you read the post, you'd see i paid 1800 for the laptop and yes i
expect it to run like hell as i would of porsche without reading the
damn reviews first.

Then your expectations are simply wrong. Price doesn't say too much about Gfx-performance. You can actually buy very small and lightweight 12.1" laptops for 2500 which might even have a slower Gfx-chipset.

I know that calling ppl names wont get me anywhere, but i'm pissed and i feel i have a right to and they deserve it.

You are pissed about what - your own failure to inform yourself before spending 1800 on a laptop?

Rather say nothing than say stupid things.

The only one saying "stupid things" is you.

Intel knows that their chip is a screw up

The 945GM isn't "screwed up" at all, it is an integrated Gfx-chip and serves it's purpose very well. In contrast to you, I informed myself before buying my laptop and chose an onboard Gfx-solution for the following reasons:

• It doesn't consume as much energy as Geforces/Radeons so my laptop runs longer on battery.
  • It doesn't get as hot as them either so my laptop stays cool and doesn't sound like a hoover
  • I don't need good 3D performance since I don't play many games, but most 2 year old 3D games still work well on the 945GM
  • the laptop was much cheaper with 945GM than with a Geforce/Radeon

whatever...just go away, smartpants

Children, children.....

As a 60-year old, reasonably computer literate, but non-techie who had to very quickly buy 'off the shelf' for business use - with little/no time to research - Yes, I expected my costly computer to be able to do simple things....like give me correct monitor resolution without a 'fix'.

Had I purchased low-end, I would have expected low-end. Lucky are you who had the luxury or time for research. Lucky you who had the knowledge to understand the implications of this of that....but for misteri and the rest of us....thank goodness for Archibael and the helpful folk on these forums.

Yes, the rest of us dummies expect Intel to put out a product that WORKS...and yes, we do feel hard done by when we find out too late that we DIDN"T get what we thought we paid for, and Intel simply ignores us. It's not always about gaming, or high-end applications....it's sometimes simple things, and we are astounded that a company like Intel has said (essentially) TOUGH...go away, litte people, you are only comsumers, after all.....! We get the runaround from manufacturers, the runaround from vendors - and have no recourse! What else can we do but beg the OEM folks to do better?

I'm of two minds on this, actually. On the one hand, Intel does pretty well at advertising what the real capabilities of its chips are: people who complain that the 945G doesn't have the horsepower to run the latest and greatest games are largely insane: it's not meant to, and if gaming is important to you, you'll find out with some basic research on how well/poorly it does before buying it.

On the other hand, there is some very basic stuff which should be a no-brainer which Intel's drivers either do not provide or provide poorly. For example, the fact that Intel GMAs can do custom resolutions down to the single-pixel level is impressive (most video cards can only do down to 8-pixel granularity), but the means for doing it are cryptic and virtually impossible for the layman to understand (hence the threads I participate in on this and other forums); concentrating on user-friendliness here is a major gap that they should and must address.

Part of this stems from the fact that Intel's integrated graphics was originally targeted at the corporate market, where entire IT staffs can deal with these issues; I suspect that Intel's integrated graphics team has yet to fully make the paradigm shift which comes of supporting the end-user experience. They'll have no choice in the years ahead, since they're going to be entering the high-end graphics market, but for now, the end-user experience is a little on the dismal side.

So, bottom line: you get what you pay for, and should do some research before you buy if you have specific (gaming) requirements. However,there are some verybasic capabilities you shouldn't have to research ("Will thisgraphics solutionwork with my monitor?") that Intel is not addressing quickly or robustly enough, and which I think it makes sense to bring to their attention as loudly and as often as possible.

"I'm very sorry i bought a dell laptop, when i should have bought a chinese made, for half less the money"

Sorry... Dell = China look on the box.or shipping origin

oh and HP= China Shanghai to be exact... Just got the HP Pavilion tx1000, I know..

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today