Ok. Here is what I think I know:
1. G965 with current drivers(22.214.171.1247) supports software vertex shaders and pixel shader 3.0.
2. Supposedly/hopefully there is a driver coming that will enable hardware T&L vertex shader support.
Here is what I am confused on:
1. If/when this driver shows up, will it support vertex shader model 3.0 or 4.0?
2. Is the hardware capable of supporting vertexSM4?
3. Is the hardware capable of supporting pixel SM4?. If so, will this new driver add pixel SM4.0?
4. Which would be faster, a quad-core CPU using software vertex shaders dedicating 3 CPU's to vertex processing or G965 hardware vertex shading? Also, is that something that is programmable(assigning individual CPUs to vertex processing), or is that fixed and handled under-the-hood by the driver?
5. Can you assign a multi-core CPU to use one of its CPU's to be a pixel shader? Evidently GPU's are becomming more like CPU's with flow control and such being added, so it seems like a logical progression.
Lots of questions I know, but it seems the state of things from DX9-DX10/SM2.0-SM4.0 is pretty hairy. Any good links to answers to any of these questions would be appreciated. Thanx.