GMA900 - Linux AIGLX vs No WDDM for Vista

GMA900 - Linux AIGLX vs No WDDM for Vista

I would like to question the fact of why AIGLX functionality in Linux can do ALL of the pretty graphical things that Aero/Vista does but no WDDM driver exists for Vista? If AIGLX can perform to an excellent level of graphic rendering and no system performance issues exist, why can't the same be done for Vista? Is it a low level of care? Does it all come down to money (probabily the answer) because someone is trying to push newer hardware? Is it bad code from Microsoft? Is bad coding from Intel? I just find it all very funny......

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

microsoft stated long time ago that aero would require at least a directx 9 card. i think thats ok because such cards are sold since early 2003.

the problem about intel is that the GMA900 (still advertised as a DX9 card on intels websites) in fact does the main features of DX9 emulate through software by using the CPU.

this makes GMA900 incompatible to vista aero. its simply lacking DX9 support.

and i dont want WDDM drivers for GMA900 anymore. i got that its not possible (maybe by misstreating microsofts wddm specifications).

but someone has to sue intel for selling this crappy card as DX9. it is advertised as 3D-performance and HDTV support. but it sucks in both. in fact it should be advertised as an office and internet card only (and nobody would ever have asked about aero & GMA900, lol)

I'm still waiting for an answer Intel.......Why is it that Linuxwhichruns drivers which were not evenwritten by your company doing ALL of the stuff that Aero on the GMA900 chipset, but your company cannot provide us with the same level of functionality in Vista? Is it that your company lacks the technical knowledge to support this or is does it all come down to greed and you want to force people to purchase new laptops, since the companies that build them buy your hardware? Why is it that one of your forum administrators stated that a wddm driver would be available "shortly"? Why are you blowing off so many people?

If the "good" people at Intel do not believe me, go ahead and install any distribution of Linux and then install Beryl. It's amazing what you can do with it.... http://www.beryl-project.org. I recommend Ubuntu or Kubuntu. The desktop rotation is sweet, the window previews from the task bar are nice (just like vista), window switching, you can grab a corner of the page and bend it back, translucent windows, window wobble, and more... So odd that Vista can't do this on the same card.

To those people who might come across this message, keep this situation in mind when purchasing hardware in the future. You might get shafted sooner rather than later. I guess we're all expected to purchase a new $1,500+ laptop every year just to keep up with the new operating systems. What a joke. I will make sure that any laptop I purchase in the future has either an ATi or nvidia card. Screw this on board crap. I learned a lesson.

I can keep posting until Intel finally decides to act in a responsible fashionand provide the level of support that would be expected from a manufacturer. I know that the PC world is exploding right now with new technologies, but lets be honest for a moment..... How long has Vista been in development? How long did the open beta testing go on for? Over a year? How long did the closed testing go on for? Quite some time. Please do not give the answer of specifications were designed before Vista. Close to two thousand people have signed the petition. Isn't this enough to bring to the executive management and have them pull their heads out of the orifice of their choice? I can always start contacting your customer service department and then ensure that I waste thousands of dollars in salary costs. I honestly would have expected a dinner purchased before you had your way with me. "Screwed by Intel", bumper stickers coming soon.

Yes, very misleading to say the least. I just purchased my laptop for windows vista 5 months ago. It was labeled as "Vista Ready" and as supporting DX9. Also, I saw that the Vista beta had supportedGMA900 with Aero. So basically, I wasted money on this laptop and this extremely expensive operating system. Thanks alot intel.. for the lies and lack of support.

My next systems are going to be AMD with nVidia chipsets. It is worth the extra money

Does Intel ever scan their own forums to see how many people have complained or even viewed the several topics related to this issue? I doubt it.

I just signed the petition and hopeit drivessome sort of response out of Intel, but I have my doubts !

they would probably hush it up!!!

the only option you have is SUE THEM !!!

GOOD MORNING INTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still waiting on an answer. The poor response that I received from your customer service department was less than satisfactory. Not only did I receive a copy and paste from your website, my concerns of the advanced graphic capabilites of this card using AIGLX (Beryl) in Linux were never addressed. I have sent another email to your customer service department in hopes that I might get an actual answer. I have high hopes so you can expect quite a few emails. I'm sure it took all of two minutes for that customer service representative to send me that junk email, so I probably wasted $0.50 USD. The way I see it, $0.50 down, $1,999.50 to go. How much longer shall we play this game?

Lets make it $1,999.00...... I can keep this up for a LONG time....

Intel needs a class action suit going their way. That's the only way they are going to respond to this. I'm not going to shut up about it until I've spoken out and cost them at least a few customers. The world needs to know how Intel is disrespecting their customers. It's a pity I'm not from USA as I would be laughing all the way to the court-house.

I can keep sending your customer service department emails as long as it takes. Do you want to reconsider or do I keep asking the same question over and over? Ready to

I can keep sending your customer service department emails as long as it takes. Do you want to reconsider or do I keep asking the same question over and over? Ready to own

I support you, tavella. Disgrateful Intel.

Thank you for the support.

Intel - This is completely ignorant. Why is it that people were able to force WDDM using your "Lakeport" drivers in pre RC1 Vista releases? Don't say it didn't happen, because guess what...... IT DID! Do you ever read your forums to develop an idea of how your "customers" feel about the products you are offering? Do you have any idea on how much negative publicity this has generated? I do plan on purchasing a new laptop now, but it shall be a COLD day in the land below before I purchase ANY laptop with your crapset, I apologize, chipset. I'd rather pay the additional $150 to obtain an ATI or Nvidia chipset. It's very difficult in the 12.1" laptop world but guess what I found? The Dell M1210. Yeah it piggy backs of your junk but at least I know there is performance there instead of just relying on your inferior products. At least I can sell off this laptop to a co-worker that doesn't care about all of the bells and whistles. Shame shame shame.

To the corporate executives:

I hope once you arrive home tonight, after your done beating your wives and/or children (like the trash you are), you are able to look in the mirror and be proud when you say, "I am a man!"

I'm not giving up! I think it's great that if you type in "GMA900 WDDM" in to Google, this post is the second item that is displayed. Hopefully this will encourage others to stand up and speak out against Intel's decision.

GMA900 915GM NO WDDM INTEL TAKING ADVANTAGE OF CONSUMERS BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES NO MORALS

Now I realize that each forum posting takes up a little bit of storage space, but I feel that this is the least I can do to recoup for having to purchase a new laptop to obtain the graphics that this one should perform. I can't wait for my AMD/ATI chipset. I may only have ten to fifteen minutes of free time each day, but I am going to dedicate it to my cause so that others will not fall in to your trap of video card neglect. What is going to happen when Microsoft releases Fiji and Vienna? All of the people that have a GMA 950 will probably find out they've been left in the dark. BUYER BEWARE!

What the *$%& are intel doing about this, nothing??!!

ur telling me and all the poeple that have bought vista or a new laptop and cant use aero on it!!

common dont be foolish do something about it!

See Intel? We will not be silenced. Do the responsible thing and support your products.Do not allowfinancial greedto tarnish your reputation. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing.Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing. Do the right thing!

this chipset has, and obviously can, run aero.

don't use "it won't be smooth graphics so buy our new product" as your excuse, it's our choice if we want to use "un-smooth" graphics or not.

xgl can do more things than aero, without your drivers. you need to stop giving us this crap, stop being so lazy, and release the drivers.

OK, guys, here's the deal.

There's "Vista Ready" and "Vista Premium Capable". Microsoft decides which is which:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/capable.mspx

The 915 graphics chip is "Vista Ready". It runs Vista just fine. It is NOT "Vista Premium Ready". From the above Microsoft site:

Some Windows Vista Capable PCs have been designated Premium Ready. These PCs will provide an even better Windows Vista experience, including the Windows Aero user experience. Features available in specific premium editions of Windows Vista, such as the ability to watch and record live TV, may require additional hardware.

Confusing? Yes. Deceptive? Well, some people think so, and have brought a lawsuit against Microsoft for this exact issue:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/04/04/microsoft-accused-of-deceptive-marketing-bait-and-switch-tactics-over-vista

In fact, since that lawsuit, Microsoft has gone back and made a change to that paragraph I quoted. Read about what it used to say:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/04/09/microsoft-redefines-vista-capable

So.

To everyone who bought a laptop with Intel 915 graphics, because it was labelled "Vista Ready", you were NOT deceived. It IS "Vista Ready". It runs Vista just fine.

But.

If you somehow thought that "Vista Ready" meant that you could run the cool 3D tab flipper, and the fancy "Aero Glass" high end 3D interface, you were wrong.

I'm sorry you didn't understand what you were getting when you bought a system with an old, low end, legacy graphics chip. I'm sorry the Microsoft marketing material and logo labels confused you. I really am. I wish none of us had to deal with this.

Is Intel ever going to release a "beta"/unofficial driver for 915 graphics?

I'm not the "official" person to answer this, but I'd say "no".

Why?

Because it's an old, low end, "legacy" part. There aren't any people at Intel dedicated to writing new drivers for this part. Intel laid off 10% of its workforce last year - 10,000 people. Ten thousand. The rest of us that are left are trying to get all the work done. Obviously, we can't do the same amount of work. Some things have to get dropped. Decisions have to be made about what projects are going to happen, and which ones are going to get cut. Like I said, I'm not the "official" person to say, but my guess is that there just aren't people sitting around, collecting a paycheck, that could be thrown at writing an unofficial "beta" driver. Wouldn't it cool i
f it happened? Of course. Would Intel like to do it if we had the resources? Certainly! But we live in the same reality that you do, and we have to make our budget balance just like you do. We can't always do everything that we'd like to do.

I hope this serves as a "final word" on this discussion. If you have more questions, please do continue to discuss it here, email me, whatever. But I'm hiding anything or holding anything back - I've laid it all out on the line, here, and I hope it helps you guys understand.

And if I could buy everyone a drink to make you feel better, or a brand new "Vista Premium Ready" computer to run the Vista eye-candy, I would. But there's that whole "reality" thing...

The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) runs Aero but Vista 6000 build ships with only some crippleware drivers which don't appear to allow OpenGL and WDDM.

Conversely some newer GMA chipsets are offered full support for Windows by Intel.

I suspect that the reason is that Intel has decided, that because many GMA chipsets were added to laptops with a meagre amount of memory, set to run at slow speeds or in linear rather than dual-channel mode, it is better to disable all of the features in software rather than have Microsoft Vista run laughably slow*. The important point to conclude is that owners of the GMA are not being treated like customers, it is therefore not advisable to act like customers. Think very carefully before buying more Intel equipment.

Although interestingly, Intel has better support for the GMA on Linux than on Windows!

I would recommend to you all to download Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, 7.04) and simply run the LiveCD without installing it; You can then enable "Desktop Effects" which is an old version of Beryl running on Intel OpenGL drivers. It is equivalent to Windows Aero... Although it is difficult to claim that it makes up for a lack of Direct3D drivers, which are required for all but the rarest of multi-platform games (e.g. Unreal Tournament).

I concur that we're being shafted as idiots by Intel, despite having invested in Intel platforms. I also wonder how 90,000 employees can be so busy that they don't have time to do their jobs, for example to work in partnership with customers.

*Windows Vista is very slow compared to Windows XP anyhow.

Quoting - ncm500@cs.york.ac.uk
The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) runs Aero but Vista 6000 build ships with only some crippleware drivers which don't appear to allow OpenGL and WDDM.

Conversely some newer GMA chipsets are offered full support for Windows by Intel.

I suspect that the reason is that Intel has decided, that because many GMA chipsets were added to laptops with a meagre amount of memory, set to run at slow speeds or in linear rather than dual-channel mode, it is better to disable all of the features in software rather than have Microsoft Vista run laughably slow*. The important point to conclude is that owners of the GMA are not being treated like customers, it is therefore not advisable to act like customers. Think very carefully before buying more Intel equipment.

Although interestingly, Intel has better support for the GMA on Linux than on Windows!

I would recommend to you all to download Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, 7.04) and simply run the LiveCD without installing it; You can then enable "Desktop Effects" which is an old version of Beryl running on Intel OpenGL drivers. It is equivalent to Windows Aero... Although it is difficult to claim that it makes up for a lack of Direct3D drivers, which are required for all but the rarest of multi-platform games (e.g. Unreal Tournament).

I concur that we're being shafted as idiots by Intel, despite having invested in Intel platforms. I also wonder how 90,000 employees can be so busy that they don't have time to do their jobs, for example to work in partnership with customers.

*Windows Vista is very slow compared to Windows XP anyhow.

Ofcource .. Instead Fedora 8 too.. Only Need To Compile Mesa 3D Driver Over Intel Linux Driver ..via libdrm and drm mode.

This Drivers Act Like start Over Bios to Display.. cause Some Event Are Generate Missing Memory Over DMVT in BIOS OPTION.

Click Here For Intel Linux Drivers Compile. i915.ko

This Make My Fusion Running Smooth Over Apache Is RunningIn Background.. In Max Mem 2GB.

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today