SLAT or EPT support

SLAT or EPT support

Hi,
Hyper-V V2 included in WS 2008 R2 uses SLAT (or EPT), which makes VMs run faster. However, I cannot determine, which Intel CPUs support this?

It seems that EPT is included in the VT-x support of some CPUs (Nehalem and according to some sources, also Westmere).

So what is the list of the supported CPUs? E.g. i5-760, i5-2400, Q9400?

Yours, Sakari

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Hi Sakari,

All Nehalem and later processes have EPT support as part of VT-x. In the Intel product catalog, look for processors with the name format iX-XXX (e.g., i5-XXX). Q9400 doesn't have it because it is based on Core2.

You might also try searching Microsoft's Web site for a Hyper-V HCL (hardware compatibility list).

David Ott

David Ott

We have 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4702MQ   http://ark.intel.com/products/75119/Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz

Yet don't have SLAT ?    If so how do I know what computer does support without running cmd line Coreinfo?    In other words what CPU's do support SLAT EPT?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>coreinfo -v

Coreinfo v3.31 - Dump information on system CPU and memory topology
Copyright (C) 2008-2014 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Note: Coreinfo must be executed on a system without a hypervisor running for
accurate results.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz
Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, GenuineIntel
Microcode signature: 0000001A
HYPERVISOR      *       Hypervisor is present
VMX             -       Supports Intel hardware-assisted virtualization
EPT             -       Supports Intel extended page tables (SLAT)

Hello, 

"We have 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4702MQ   http://ark.intel.com/products/75119/Intel-Core-i7-4702MQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz"

Actually, the URL that you provided has all the details.  Under the Package Specifications/Advanced Technologies section, it shows that your processor has the Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)  supported feature.  In the article describing SLAT, it states that EPT is the same as Second Level Address Translation (SLAT). 

-Thai

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today