Intel VT and notebook manufacturers -- call for action!

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

I got this working with my Sony VAIO FW31E, thanks for this. I found you via; Enabling Intel VT on Sony VAIO notebook with AMI Aptio EFI BIOS!

Quoting - bongface
I got this working with my Sony VAIO FW31E, thanks for this. I found you via...

I am glad you found the patch and that it worked for you.

I am sad to see that people are stealing content and hotlinking without giving me any credit for the work though.

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Quoting - Igor Levicki

I am glad you found the patch and that it worked for you.

I am sad to see that people are stealing content and hotlinking without giving me any credit for the work though.

Hey Igor. I really can't thank you enough for creating this utility. It worked perfectly on my VGN-FW285J, and now I can switch to using KVM from VirtualBox on my Linux laptop. I wrote a blog post about my experience here:

http://linux.com/community/blogs/sonys-crippled-intel-vt-support.html

Is anyone from Intel still watching this topic?!?

Take a look at those lies about virtualization and your business practices which Sony tech support personnel is peddling to their customers:

Sony confirms no hardware virtualization on VAIO computers past, present, or future

Will you let them deceive customers how you are giving them a discount to disable the feature?!?

Shame on you Intel for staying so bloody quiet on this matter for so long!!!

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Quoting - Igor Levicki

Is anyone from Intel still watching this topic?!?

Take a look at those lies about virtualization and your business practices which Sony tech support personnel is peddling to their customers:

Sony confirms no hardware virtualization on VAIO computers past, present, or future

Will you let them deceive customers how you are giving them a discount to disable the feature?!?

Shame on you Intel for staying so bloody quiet on this matter for so long!!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/sony_vaio_virtualization_disabled/

quote:

"With the advent of XP Virtualization, there is impetus for us to relook at the situation and I can share with you that we will enable VT on select models. Though, i fear t [sic] say that the Z series will not be part of our VT-enabling effort"

Looks like we may get our FW series fixes after all :D

Quoting - Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/06/sony_vaio_virtualization_disabled/

quote:

"With the advent of XP Virtualization, there is impetus for us to relook at the situation and I can share with you that we will enable VT on select models. Though, i fear t [sic] say that the Z series will not be part of our VT-enabling effort"

Looks like we may get our FW series fixes after all :D

VAIO Z has also been enabled for VT recently using UEFI boot via USB method and by enabling full BIOS menus. What he says is total crap -- there are no reasons (except political) to leave Z out of equation.

As for FW we have a fix since February, thanks for letting me know about this article.

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Quoting - chiazyn

heres the official email our company got from Sony on this issue

>>forwarded email<<
below is current plans for VT support.

Regarding legacy support of VT, confirmed the following models will be supported:

- Z series (Z500, Z600, Z700 series)
- SR400 series
- TT series (TT100 and TT200 series)

Misc need to knows:
- Note that not all CPUs support VT With that said, we currently support VT on the BZ series When Windows 7 will become available we will enable VT on the Z500, Z600, Z700, SR400, TT100 and TT200 series As for models to be released in the holiday 09, more news will become available once the line-up is announced to public.

Lastly, VT-enabled BIOSes will be made available through our Windows 7 upgrade program and/or the web at the time of Windows 7 release

Quoting - kristy34d

heres the official email our company got from Sony on this issue

>>forwarded email<<
below is current plans for VT support.

Regarding legacy support of VT, confirmed the following models will be supported:

- Z series (Z500, Z600, Z700 series)
- SR400 series
- TT series (TT100 and TT200 series)

Misc need to knows:
- Note that not all CPUs support VT With that said, we currently support VT on the BZ series When Windows 7 will become available we will enable VT on the Z500, Z600, Z700, SR400, TT100 and TT200 series As for models to be released in the holiday 09, more news will become available once the line-up is announced to public.

Lastly, VT-enabled BIOSes will be made available through our Windows 7 upgrade program and/or the web at the time of Windows 7 release

Great but could you please ask them what about the FW series?!?

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Hi Igor;

I accidentally post the following to "Getting to know Igor Levicki, Intel Black Belt Software Developer" section. Sorry for this.

I am an academic in Bilkent University in Computer Technologies and Information Systems.

I owned a VGN-FW4ZTJ and needless to say, VT is disabled.

I am really thinking to apply your VT Patch 1.1 issued on 2009/03/04. My question is that my bios issue date is newer than your patch issue date. Do you think, my bios will be under risk if I apply your patch because of issuing dates/versions? (I know, this is the dumbest question, you may ever have but the problem is very frustrating).

My current bios spec is as follows:
Provider: American Megatrends Inc.
Version: R3100Y0
Issue Date: 04/22/2009
Size: 2048 KB
Ability: Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS, Smart Battery
Standards: DMI, ACPI, ESCD, PnP

Thank your for your efforts for Sony Vaio users. If you don't exist, we won't have any other option than the customer support's "There is no virtualization" sentences.

Best regards...

As I have already said numerous times -- just run the patch. If it can't patch the BIOS it will complain.

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Hey Igor

Your patch worked on my FW12G... thanks!

Quoting - grimstoner
Hey Igor

Your patch worked on my FW12G... thanks!

You are welcome!

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Hi Mr. Levicki,

I formeda USB with the files as in your patch. The USB is FAT-32 formatted. I have set the BIOS settings to default and then just enable external device setting and set the external device as primary to be booted. The issue is it bypasses the USB during boot. I used standard Kingston 1GB.

My question is the partition type is ok with your patch or an NTFS partitioning should i need?

and for the record, could you share the knowledge of the failed machines configurations? (I know not much machines, but to create an analogy, it may be helpful for the users)

Also for my configuration, I am using Ubuntu 9.01, Leopard 10.5 and Windows Vista Home 64-bit (Sony stuff removed totally). I have GRUB bootloader and Darwin. Do they affect this process? (I don't think so, but better to ask you first)

Best regards...

Lastly, should i try for a DVD or CD burnt with the patch?

Best regards...

Hey, my post might seem irrelevant! Though, I'm posting this to report the success of enabling VT-x on my LG E300 notebook with Phoenix BIOS. I used the hack described in this thread. Everything went smooth except the decompression of the BIOS binary, I used Phoenix BIOS Edit Pro 2.2 instead of the that described in the thread.

Anyone have tried it with VGN-FW495J or knows if the patch support all FW series.
I'm still trying to figure out whether it can be applied to my laptop or not, I really need it for VMWare and Virtual PC support :S.

Windows 7 is about to be released, is there any chance that Sony might offer any kind of BIOS update to enable VT for full support?

Thanks in advance,
Nabih

btopalbilkent, you will need a DOS boot sector on your USB stick - it sounds like you don't have this set up properly, if it's ignoring your drive (and everything is correctly enabled).

Short note - flash went exceedingly smoothly on a VGN-FW41ZJ, AMI bios (R3100Y0) - all thanks to Mr. Levicki for fixing what Sony, in their infinite wisdom, saw fit to break and sweep under the carpet.

Igor: I totally agree with you. Every bit of information I have on every Sony notebook says otherwise. Here is an examplehttp://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VPCCW19GX
Look at the user manual on page 100. It clearly states the processor must support it which it does. It is Sony who is not allowing it. Its also false advertisement. If you click on the following linkhttps://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666016668&categoryId=8198552921644659496 Then click on The more info under windows 7 it states right there that this notebook with Windows 7 pro features XPmode which requires Intel VT. Yet another oversight by Sony. I know this topic is getting old but with Windows 7 out now and the issue not fixed I see lawsuits in the future.

Hi Igor,

After searching the net, including your site for a virtualization patch for a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ21Z with a Phoenix BIOS. The closest I got was your AMI version. Do you know if there is one that will work on this (not my laptop thank god). Glad I bought a Dell XPS M1330 with aexcellent BIOS.

Thanks,

Scotty

Quoting - Nabih

Windows 7 is about to be released, is there any chance that Sony might offer any kind of BIOS update to enable VT for full support?

Indeed, it appears that recently Sony has released BIOS updates to several models for enabling VT. Has anyone tried them?

Quoting - Igor Levicki
Good folks at Intel I need your help.

As some of you may have noticed, I have been awarded last summer with a Black Belt title, and I got a very nice notebook as a reward. It is a Sony VAIO VGN-FW190E.

Today I wanted to use Microsoft Virtual PC on it, and I realized in awe that the hardware virtualization support is disabled.

I used Everest, CPU-Z, CrystalCPUID and my own CPU info tool to verify that the P8600 actually does support VT which of course being high-end mobile 45nm part it does.

Being geeky I disassembled Virtual PC executable to check if perhaps detection doesn't work correctly and I found no flaws.

Then I consulted document order #253669 revision 29 (Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual Volume 3B - System Programming Guide) and in chapter 19.7 on page 156 I found that VT is controlled by MSR 0x3A bits 0, 1, and 2. I checked the contents of the MSR using CrystalCPUID MSR Editor tool and the value is 0x00000000 00000001, meaning that the VT has been disabled and the register locked.

After rebooting into BIOS I found no option to Enable/Disable VT. It is hardcoded as disabled.

I have spent two hours in chat with Sony Support. I got the following responses:

1. http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C381809

That KB article basically says that Intel VT is "currently" (since October 2008) not supported on VAIO notebooks.

2. Igor, as the Virtualization Technology is not supported, it is not possible to use the Hardware Virtualization.

In my opinion, this is giving Intel Corporation a bad name. I have Intel's latest and greatest mobile platform with not only VT but VT2 support which I cannot use simply because someone at Sony has been an incompetent cheapskate when they were configuring the BIOS modules.

3. This issue needs extensive communication. So, I suggest that you contact our Hotline Support team at 1-888-476-6972 1-888-476-6972 .

Well it is obvious that I can't make long distance call from Serbia and spend an hour listening to cheap elevator music until someone answers the phone and then spend another hour attempting to explain the technical nitty-gritty as I am being repeatedly told that "it is not supported".

4. BIOS updates will be released only if there are any known issues with the Computer.

Well, if this isn't a known issue then why it exists in their knowledge base? D'oh! Needless to say, BIOS is dated February 27th, 2008 so it probably doesn't even have recent microcode updates as well.

5. I suggest that you bookmark our Sony support site 'Drivers and Softwares' page to check for the latest updates.

Yeah, right. The only problem is that nowhere does it say on Sony's website "we are working on an update".

6. Igor, it is clearly mentioned that Sony VAIO computers do not currently support Virtualization Technology (VT).

Yes in the KB article dated October 27th, 2008.
No on the Sony Style website where the notebook has been ordered back in August 2008. Time travel not yet invented.

7. In this case, I suggest that you contact our Customer Information and Service Center to place and request. Dissatisfied customers and policy issues are handled by our Customer Information and Service Center.

Ok, so I will send an email, some developer will get it and all will be fine right? Bzzzt... Wrong!

8. Igor, I am sorry to inform you that, Telephone support is the only way to contact our Customer Information and Service Center.

Phone... again... this time I would need to call 1-239-768-7669 but I can't because...

9. In this case, you will be charged.

Well if I have to make an international call, isn't it obvious that I will be charged? D'oh!

Now, what this long (and hopefully at least a bit funny) rant tries to convey is that OEMs (not just Sony, other notebook manufacturers too) are damaging Intel's corporate image in this way.

How can I develop on Intel platform for Intel Platform using VT when I can't even turn it on?

I really need someone from Intel to help me with this issue.

Some manager on Intel Virtualization team who will pick up the phone, call a Sony representative, verbally wound his behind, rub some salt in, and demand a BIOS update A.S.A.P to be released to the customers. Or just politely ask -- whichever way works better.

Please folks, there is no one else who can resolve this!

Best regards,
Igor Levicki
Intel Black Belt

Hi Igor.

I have just installed Win7 and XPmode on my FW11E (UK model) only to find vt is turned off. That is extremely annoying I have been reading this forum and the thread on notebookreview, I have downloaded the V1.1 file from your download page but don't know what to do with it.

would it be possible to list detailed instructions on exactly what to do from start to finish? or is there a link to the instructions which I have missed? I have been reading for hours so its possibleI missed it.

many thanks

I have just noticed that Sony has finally released the BIOS update that enables virtualization for my notebook model VGN-FW190E. I guess that makes my question answered :)

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNFW190E&upd_id=5304&os_id=28

Regards,
Igor Levicki

Pages

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today