Flash Memory Diagnostics

Flash Memory Diagnostics

I found an interesting masters thesis by Robert Martin online called "Multi-Level Cell Flash Memnory Fault Testing and Diagnosis". It applied to both single bit flash and multi-bit NOR flash architectures. The biggest problem with the thesis from my perspective is that detailed knowledge of the internal row/column architecture is need to perform the diagonal test pattern iterations. It also mentioned programming each cell to every "11", "10", "01", and "00" state. From an external interface, I can see no way to do this.

I can find no official white paper, or application note describing a suitable power on, or manufacturing test strategy for testing flash memory. SDRAM marching test patterns are not sufficient. When I was at Cabletron/Enterasys we did have a three pass algorithm to test flash but since I have moved on to another firm I cannot get access to this source code. I never did find the basis for the patterns used by that test. If someone from the Flash products group in Folsom CA can point me to a fairly universal algorithm, or some method of using the CFI interface to implement the diagonal testing method mentioned above, it would be appreciated.

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
For more complete information about compiler optimizations, see our Optimization Notice.

Thank you for posting your message on the Intel Software Network forum. This forum is dedicated to discussions regarding software and therefore may not be monitored by flash memory engineers. For more accurate and timely information regarding the flash memory topic of interest to you, please see http://www.intel.com/design/flash/articles/298011.htm. Here, you will find links to technical information and support links to get you to the flash memory support resources.

Best regards,
Jim A
Intel Software Network Support
Contact us

Leave a Comment

Please sign in to add a comment. Not a member? Join today