The setup tool can flash the latest firmware on the Intel® Edison development board via a convenient wizard.
Download and Install Pre-requisite Tools
For steps, see http://computernetworkingnotes.com/ubuntu-12-04-tips-and-tricks/how-to-install-7zip-in-ubuntu.html.
For steps, see http://www.techrapid.co.uk/linux/install-fping-ping-alternative-linux/.
Install GDebi Package Installer
For steps, see https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/precise/gdebi/.
Download the latest Yocto* Poky Image
The setup tool looks for the previous version of Yocto* Poky image. Prior to installing and running the setup tool, you need to download and extract the files of the latest (patched) Yocto* poky image.
- Go to the software.intel.com/iot/hardware/edison/downloads page and select the Latest Yocto* Poky image link under Intel® Edison Module Firmware Software Release 3.5.
- Create the Image directory within your working directory named Edison here:
$ cd ~/Edison
$ mkdir Image
- Go to the Downloads folder, move the downloaded image file to the newly created Image directory.:
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ mv iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606-patch.zip ~/Edison/Image
- Move to the Image directory, extract the image files and delete the .zip file:
$ cd ~/Edison/Image
$ unzip iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606-patch.zip
$ rm iot-devkit-prof-dev-image-edison-20160606-patch.zip
Download and Run the Setup Tool
Get the latest setup tool for Linux* from software.intel.com/iot/hardware/edison/downloads listed under the Installers heading.
- Move the downloaded file to your working directory, named Edison here:
$ mv Intel_Edison_Setup_Lin_2016.2.002.tar.gz ~/Edison
Move to your working directory (named Edison here), and extract the downloaded tar.gz file.
$ cd ~/Edison
$ gunzip Intel_Edison_Setup_Lin_2016.2.002.tar.gz
$ tar -xvf Intel_Edison_Setup_Lin_2016.2.002.tar
Move to the setup tool directory and run the
$ cd Intel_Edison_Setup_Lin_2016.2.002
$ sudo ./install_GUI.sh
Follow the setup tool on-screen instructions. Click Next where needed.
- The Flash Tool searches for the Yocto* Poky image which is now replaced with the patched version that you downloaded earlier. When you select the Flash Firmware button, select the option Select the local image and provide the path to the edison-image-edison.hddimg file in the Image directory.
When requested by the setup tool, plug in your board to your computer using the device mode cable.
On the Arduino* expansion board: The microswitch is toggled down towards the two micro USB ports. A USB cable with a micro-B type connector can now be plugged into the top micro USB port, and the other end plugged into your computer.
On the mini breakout board: Plug in a USB cable with a micro-B type connector, and plug the other end into your computer.
The setup tool will attempt to flash your board. The entire flashing process may take up to 5-6 minutes.
When the setup tool is finished, you can close it.
Your Intel® Edison board should now be up-to-date with the latest firmware. Start communicating with your board; continue to Step 3: Connect over UART/Serial.