If you have a host system with 64-bit Windows* or Mac* OS X*, the setup tool for the Intel® Edison board replaces this method of flashing your board. For steps for your host system, see the steps for Windows or Mac.
This section contains steps to install Flash Tool Lite to update (flash) the firmware on your Intel® Edison board. The firmware is your board's operating system, and also allows for use of Wi-Fi*, Bluetooth*, analog and digital controls, and other functions. While installing and flashing your board is not necessarily required to begin programming your board, it's important to keep your firmware up-to-date to ensure the best stability and performance for your board. Flashing your firmware also gives you access to vital features, like the ability to connect your board to a wireless network.
For an introduction to flashing your firmware, see Flashing your board's firmware.
You have already set up your board and connected the board to your host system. This includes assembling your board, installing the appropriate drivers (if your host system has Windows*), and flashing your firmware. For steps, see the appropriate guide for Windows 64-bit, Windows 32-bit, Mac* OS X*, and Linux*.
- Once your board is connected, you should see a drive called Edison show up in Finder.
Remove old images
- Open up a new Terminal window.
- Enter the command:
- To remove all visible files and folders, enter the command:
rm –rf Edison/*
- To remove all hidden files and folders, enter the command:
rm –rf Edison/\.*
Note: If you get a message stating that rm: “.” and “..” may not be removed, this is expected. The “.” and “..” entries are special links to the current directory and parent directory, which may not be removed.
- To view files on the mounted Edison drive, enter the command:
ls -lag Edison.
Verify that the files have been removed.
- Press Enter. The next line after you press enter should be blank.
Mac OS X Installation
- Download and run the latest version of Flash Tool Lite from the Intel® Platform Flash Tool Lite page.
- Open the installer file to install Flash Tool Lite.
Now that you have installed Flash Tool Lite, continue to Flashing the firmware with Flash Tool Lite.