Steps to Set Up a Serial Terminal
- If you do not have the screen shell session manager installed, open a new Terminal window. Enter the command:
$ sudo apt-get install screen
If prompted, enter your password to install screen.
- Issue the following command to check the name of your serial connection with Intel® Edison board. In most cases the USB dev path is dev/ttyUSB0 but if you have multiple USB serial devices connected, your Intel® Edison board could be assigned ttyUSB1 or ttyUSB2.
$ ls dev/ttyUSB*
- To connect to the board, enter the command:
$ sudo screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200
ttyUSB0is your connected device.
If prompted, enter your password to continue.
- Press Enter twice. A login screen is displayed.
- At the login prompt, type
rootand press Enter.
- Press Enter when prompted for a password.
You have now established a serial communication with your board. You can interact with your board by entering common Linux commands. For a summary of useful commands, see Common commands for the Intel® Edison board.