Steps to Set Up a Serial Terminal
- Launch Spotlight by pressing Cmd + Space.
- Select the Terminal app.
- In the Terminal window, enter the command:
- In the list of connected devices, look for a device that contains cu.usbserial. In the example above, the device name is /dev/cu.usbserial-A402YSYU.
Note: If your device is not in the list, verify that your board is powered on and connected to your system. Select the appropriate link below:
- Connect to the USB serial device using the Terminal screen utility by entering the command:
screen /dev/xx.usbserial-XXXXXXXX 115200 –L
/dev/xx.usbserial-XXXXXXXXis replaced by your device unique name. Using the example above, the command would be:
screen -L /dev/cu.usbserial-A402YSYU 115200 –L
Note: Adding –L to the command, as shown above, turns on output logging so you can see the results of your commands. To end a session in Screen type Ctrl + A and then Ctrl + K to kill the session. You will be prompted to end the session.
- At the blank screen, press Enter twice. A login screen is displayed.
- At the login prompt, type
rootand press Enter.
- Press Enter when prompted for a password. The following screen is displayed:
You have now established a serial communication with your board. You can interact with your board by entering common Linux commands. For a summary of useful commands, see Common commands for the Intel® Edison board.