The Projects tab of the Intel® XDK lists those projects the Intel XDK is aware of on your development system.
NOTE: The Projects Overview describes how to view a project's information, the types of projects, project paths and project root directory, changing Apache Cordova* plugins and other app settings, and other important concepts. You should be familiar with the Projects Overview and Intel XDK project types before reading this page.
Create a New Project Using Templates or Sample Demos
To create a new Intel XDK project:
Open the Projects tab and click the down arrow and choose New Project (to the right of Projects), or select Start a New Project at the bottom of the project list.
The following appears in the left palette:
- Explore the available Templates.
- Explore the functional Samples and Demos.
- Import Your HTML5 code base files into an Intel XDK project.
Click one of the items, such as Templates. Choose a category below Template to view the available templates in that category. Within Templates, you can choose a HTML5+Cordova project or a Standard HTML5 project.
When selecting a sample:
- View a screen capture of the app on the right side.
- Follow the article link to view more about the template.
- Locate the template's source code on GitHub* by clicking the icon.
- After you select a demo/sample project to create a project, click the Continue button.
- If needed, change the Project Directory by clicking the button.
- Type a project name for the new project.
- Click the Create button. The project name you specify becomes the directory name used to contain the project files, as well as the name of the
Creating an Internet of Things Embedded Application Project
In addition to the project type options screen shown above, the Internet of Things (IoT) Embedded Application project list appears. For example, view a list of available Templates. After you create an Internet of Things (IoT) Embedded Application project, only the Projects and Develop tabs appear - this project type does not need build settings.
For more information, see the Intel XDK IoT - getting started guide landing page.
Recommended Project Directory Structure
Choose the Active Project
To choose the active project, click the down arrow and choose the name of the project you want to become your active project:
Or you can select a project name on the left side of the Projects tab. The new project is highlighted (see below) and its project information appears. Other Intel XDK tabs will now use this active project.
Open an Intel XDK Project Not Listed in the Projects Tab
To restore an Intel XDK project file previously removed from the project list, or add an Intel XDK project copied from another system, click at the bottom of the projects list.
Navigate to the location of the *.xdk file within the project you wish to open/restore. When you open the file, the project will be added to the projects list and become your active project.
Move an Intel XDK Project
To move an Intel XDK project to a different directory location or development system:
- Open the project in the Projects tab by clicking the down arrow to the right of Projects.
- Under Project Info, locate the project root directory after Project Path.
- Use your file system (File Finder or command line) to copy the project root directory tree to the other development system.
- Open the Intel XDK on the other system where the Intel XDK is installed.
- Click the Projects tab.
- Click Open an Intel® XDK Project near the bottom.
- Browse to the copied directory and select the .xdk file.
- Click Open.