This document will guide you through installing the Intel® Atom™ x86 image for Android* Ice Cream Sandwich, which can be used for development on Intel’s x86 architecture. The steps presented below are the same, regardless of the OS.
The Android x86 Emulator Image requires the Android SDK to be installed. For instructions on installing and configuring the Android SDK, refer to the Android developer website (http://developer.android.com/sdk/).
Optional: The x86 Emulator Image for Android can be accelerated using Intel Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager (HAXM). For more information, refer to the “Optimization” section of this document.
Downloading through Android SDK Manager
- Start the Android SDK Manager.
- Under Android 4.0.3 (API 15), select “Intel x86 Atom System Image”:
- Once selected, click the Install Package button.
- Review the Intel Corporation license agreement. If you accept the terms, select Accept and click Install.
- The SDK Manager will download and extract the system image to the appropriate location within the Android SDK directory.
Using the System Image
- Start the Android AVD Manager and create a new AVD, setting “Target” to “Android 4.0.3 – API Level 15”, and “CPU/ABI” to “Intel Atom (x86)":
Note: if the “Intel Atom (x86)” CPU/ABI option is not available, please make sure that the system image is installed correctly.
- Click the “Create AVD” button.
- The AVD has been successfully created and is now ready to use:
The performance of Intel Atom x86 Image for Android Ice Cream Sandwich can be improved using hardware-based virtualization using Intel VT-x technology.
If your computer has an Intel processor with VT-x support, it is recommended that Intel Hardware Acceleration Execution Manager (HAXM) be used in conjunction with this system image. For more information about Intel HAXM, visit http://www.intel.com/software/android.
Note: Intel HAXM is for Windows and OS X operating systems only. For Linux hosts, Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) can be used to accelerate emulation performance. For information on installing and configuring KVM on Ubuntu, refer to the following guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation
The Intel Atom x86 Image for Android Ice Cream Sandwich can make use of hardware GPU features to increase the performance of games, graphics-intensive programs, and user interface elements.
Note: The functionality and performance of GPU acceleration is highly dependent on your computer’s graphics card and graphics drivers.
To use hardware GPU acceleration, perform the following steps:
- Open the Android AVD Manager.
- Select the AVD, and click the “Edit” button.
- The AVD editor window will appear. In the Emulation Options section, check the “Use Host GPU” option.
- Click the “OK” button to save the AVD.
- After the AVD has been modified, a dialog will appear confirming the AVD settings:
In the confirmation dialog, the “hw.gpu.enabled=yes” line indicates that GPU acceleration is enabled for that particular AVD.
Note: The GPU acceleration must be enabled on a per-AVD basis.
Copyright (C) 2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.
Intel, Atom, and the Intel logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.
All products, computer systems, dates, and figures specified are preliminary based on current expectations, and are subject to change without notice.
* Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.