NOTE: Many of the following steps should be reviewed and performed when a floating product license is renewed or added to an existing set of floating licenses, and when a combined license file is updated.
First, make sure you have the latest Intel FLEXlm* License Manager user guide. Click here to download the user guide.
Steps to complete FOR THE LICENSE HOST SERVER SYSTEM(S)
1. Download the Intel® FLEXlm* license server that best matches your license host server OS. Click here to download license servers.
2. Verify your license host server machine’s host name and host id. If you are using three redundant license host server systems, verify the host name and host id for all three machines. Click here for more information.
3. Verify your floating licenses are registered with the correct host name and host id specified. If you are using three redundant license host server systems, verify all three host names and host ids are specified for each floating license.
You can find this information by logging into the Intel Registration Center and checking your floating license information.
4. If any of your floating licenses have incorrect or out-of-date host name or host id information, follow the instructions in this user guide to correct the information in the floating license(s), and obtain updated license file(s). Click here for more information.
5. If you wish to combine your floating license files into one file, follow the instructions in section 4.3 of the Intel® FLEXlm* License Manager user guide, or follow the instructions here.
6. Verify that all the individual floating license files or the combined license file resides on your license host server system. Ensure there are no Single User, evaluation, or Beta licenses residing in the flexlm license directory on your license host server system.
On Linux*: /opt/intel/flexlm/
On Mac OS* X: /opt/intel/flexlm/
On Windows*: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\FLEXlm
7. If you have specified three redundant license host server systems in your floating licenses, at least two of the three redundant license host servers must be up and running at all times. Click here for more information.
8. Install your Intel® FLEXlm* license server binary on your license host server system. If you have specified three redundant license host server systems in your floating licenses, complete all three license host server installations. Follow the instructions in Chapter 3 of the Intel FLEXlm* License Manager user guide.
9. Start your license host server process by following the instructions in Chapter 3 of the Intel FLEXlm* License Manager user guide. If you are using a Vista or Windows Server 2008 system, please see the information at this link.
10. Ensure your license server is running by following the instructions in the user guide for the << lmstat >> command. Click here for more information.
Steps to complete ON THE CLIENT SYSTEMS
1. On each client system, install the Intel software product(s) your users will be running from that client system. You will likely need a copy of the floating .lic license file on the client system for each product you will be installing; please put the copy of the Intel product floating license file(s) in the default Intel license file directory, and make sure you are using the same license file on the client system as you are using on the license host server system(s).
There is a different default Intel license file directory on Windows*, Linux* and Mac OS* X.
Windows*: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\Licenses
Mac OS* X: /Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Intel/Licenses/
2. Set the INTEL_LICENSE_FILE environment variable on each client system. Click here for more information.
3. Try launching the Intel product, such as the Intel® C++ Compiler product.
4. If problems occur with floating license seat check-out, or with any of these steps, please follow the steps in Chapter 5 of the user guide to capture a debug log for your license host server.
Then submit a new issue to Intel® Premier Support and attach the debug log you generated.
If you do not have access to Premier Support, please post a new question on the user forum.
5. To help the Support team assist you efficiently with your problem, please provide the following information:
[NOTE: DO NOT ATTACH FILES OR POST SERIAL NUMBERS IN USER FORUM COMMUNICATIONS UNTIL OUR SUPPORT TEAM HAS CHANGED YOUR POSTING TO PRIVATE STATUS.]
a. OS and architecture for your license host server system(s)
b. the name of the specific Intel FLEXlm license manager server file you downloaded and installed
c. the serial number for the floating license you are using
d. the environment variable setting for INTEL_LICENSE_FILE
e. a copy of each floating license file you are using
f. the combined license file (only if customer is using a combined license file)
g. host server name and host server id for the license host server(s)
h. verification that Intel License manager is running (capture of the results of running the appropriate lmstat command)
i. license server debug log and client-side debug log