What is MWC?
We’ve seen unprecedented growth in the mobile ecosystem in the last few years. It’s expanding at lightning speed, with endless innovation and new applications of mobile technology everywhere we look. From zero contact payments and augmented reality to embedded devices and connected cities, mobile technology is changing the world. The impact that mobile is poised to have on the world is limitless.
One of the best ways to track where the mobile ecosystem is headed is in Barcelona at Mobile World Congress 2013, where attendees will get to take part in a variety of activities:
- A world-class thought leadership conference featuring visionary keynotes and panel discussions
- A cutting-edge product and technology exhibition featuring 1500 different exhibitors
- The world’s best venue for seeking industry opportunities, connecting with like-minded individuals, and networking
- App Planet, where the mobile app community gathers to learn, network, and engage with other innovators
- mPowered Brands, where marketers, advertisers, and global brands explore the possibilities in mobile marketing
- Global Mobile Awards program, where notable achievements and advancements in the industry are recognized
In 2012, attendance at Mobile World Congress reached more than 67k visitors in total. 12,000 developers attended MWC, along with 3.5k CEOs and 3.3k press and analysts. There were 45 separate sessions with 240 speakers – over 1400 total submissions. 2013 is on track to surpass these figures, which makes it an especially important event to attend for anyone who wants to keep their finger on the pulse of the mobile ecosystem.
Intel at MWC
Intel is a key player in the global mobile landscape. Core aspects of the mobile ecosystem run on Intel architecture, and Intel platforms are essential in driving the mobile experience from device to datacenter. As Intel moves forward in playing a larger role in the mobile stage, we’re seeing the mobile system move to adopt technologies and platforms that Intel is already providing. Mobile essentially runs on Intel, and Intel is committed to enabling and equipping developers so they can compete in a global mobile marketplace.
To that end, Intel is hosting several different training events at MWC specifically for developers, including:
- Ultrabooks and Tablets: App Development in Windows*8 Using Touch, Sensors, and More: register now for this event
- Intel HTML5 App Porter Tool Beta: A Jump Start on Migrating iOS Apps: register now for this event
- Cross-Platform Development with HTML5: register now for this event
For more information including dates and times, visit Mobile World Congress – Event Schedule.
Overview of demos, tools, and showcases
In addition to the developer-specific trainings detailed above, Intel is offering a wide variety of demos and showcases at the Intel booth, including:
1. Intel® GPA for Android: Maximize game GPU performance with these easy to use tools, Intel® Graphics Performance Analyzers.
2. Intel® Hardware Accelerated Execution Manager: The HAXM for Android driver uses Intel Virtualization Technology to accelerate the emulation of Android on a PC, greatly speeding up testing, debugging and optimization of your Android app.
3. Intel® VTuneTM Amplifier for Android: Boosts your app performance and power.
4. Wind River* Secure Android Solution: A dynamic Security Enhanced (SE) Android solution with embedded optimizations for built-in protection of devices and data from multiple threats and attacks.
5. Intel® Cloud Services: Enables identity-based apps and web experiences that span devices, operating systems, and platforms. Integrate location-based features into your app or website in minutes.
6. Telmap* M8: A free navigation app perfect for all things on-the-go with seamless integration with Facebook* and Twitter*.
7. HTML5 Developer Experience: Shifting from iOS* to HTML5 made easier; See how a developer can start with an App written for iOS* (iPhones/iPads), leverage our Intel® HTML5 App Porter Tool (BETA), to start transcoding to HTML5, then use their Tool-of-Choice & various packaging options to serve iOS*, Android*, & Windows*.
8. HTML5 User Experience: Maximizing an App's Potential Audience; see a gaggle of gadgets all running an App, which started life as an iOS* creature, and the metamorphosed through the beauty of HTML5 into a butterfly that can still run on iOS, as well as Android* & Windows* 8.
9. Intel® CCF: Build wireless, multi-user apps using the Intel® Common Connectivity Framework.
10. Perceptual Computing Tools: The Intel® Perceptual Computing SDK enables you to create the next generation of immersive, engaging, innovative software applications that incorporate close-range tracking, speech recognition, facial analysis and 2D/3D object tracking on Intel® Core™ processor-powered Ultrabook™ devices and PCs.
11. Perceptual Computing Apps: Create immersive experiences for your users and discover new input methods through innovation powered by the Intel® Perceptual Computing SDK.
12. Intel® Developer Zone: Experience the Intel® Developer Zone (Intel® DZ) – your program to engage with Intel and fellow colleagues for all things software – from development to distribution. Get development tools, technical articles, code samples and support. See contest winning applications from 4iitoo, Sumerics and MangoReader.
13. App Showcase: Developing for Intel Architecture? Ask these innovative software companies how and why they work with Intel: 4iitoo, Escapist Games, Krita, MangoReader, Metaio, Nero, ooVoo, Opera, Sensewhere, Sumerics, Teamviewer and Vision Object.
MWC is important for developers
The mobile ecosystem is growing at a fantastic rate, and smart developers know that staying on top of the trends driving this growth is extremely important. MWC offers a unique opportunity to find out what key players are doing in the mobile space. Intel personnel will be on hand to showcase the latest mobile devices based on Intel technology and discuss Intel’s mobile strategy.Intel offers multiple opportunities for coders to learn new technologies, see demos of cutting-edge technology in action, interact with fellow developers from all over the world, and make new connections.