Intel Parallel Studio in parallel Fortran development

Intel Parallel Studio in parallel Fortran development

Hi!

I'm looking for tools to use in parallelizing a large Fortran application (with a dash of c/c++). Before giving it a spind I just wanted to ask whether anyone has experiences in using Intel Parallel Studio with Intel Fortran (on Windows)? Or if e.g. the developers of IPS might be able to tell right off what I can expect to work and what not to work - e.g. to me it sounds like memory checker and concurrency analysis might work but parallel advisor might not.

publicaciones de 4 / 0 nuevos
Último envío
Para obtener más información sobre las optimizaciones del compilador, consulte el aviso sobre la optimización.

Quoting - Antti Karanta

Hi!

I'm looking for tools to use in parallelizing a large Fortran application (with a dash of c/c++). Before giving it a spind I just wanted to ask whether anyone has experiences in using Intel Parallel Studio with Intel Fortran (on Windows)? Or if e.g. the developers of IPS might be able to tell right off what I can expect to work and what not to work - e.g. to me it sounds like memory checker and concurrency analysis might work but parallel advisor might not.

Hi,

Intel Parallel Studio doesn't support Fortran at all. In this case it's better to look at VTune and Thread Checker - they are intended to support Fortan in addition to C/C++.

-Vladimir
Best Reply

Quoting - Antti Karanta

Hi!

Antti,

Intel Parallel Studio is focused on C++ developers, as part of Parallel Studio, Intel Parallel Amplifier and Intel Parallel Inspector aretested and supported for C++ applications. The analysis engines for both of these componentsare based off the binary not the source. So we expect Parallel Amplifier and Paralell Inspector will conduct analysis of an application whose source is Fortran and it probably will show proper call stack and display by functions. We ran some simple Fortran through Amplifier, but we do not validate correct drill down to source and association to correct line numbers with Fortran, but as long as the symbol information generated by the compiler is correct, the Amplifier results will be correct. Amplifier and Inspector recognize thread api calls from C++, I am not sure whethertheywillrecognize calls into windows thread apis directly from Fortran (If not recognized this would create unexpected results in locks & waits, concurrency and thread data race detection analyses). If all of your threading constructs are in the C or C++ sections of your code it might work fine.

Please be aware that in addition to Intel Parallel Studio product, Intel offers a HPC line of products that offer full support for Fortran. This includes the Fortran compiler of course, but also Intel VTune Performance Analyzer and Intel Thread Checker. The Intel Math Kernel Library also includes full fortran interfaces to BLAS, LAPACK, FFT and other common numerical algorithms. Most Fortran developers use the HPC line of Intel products.

-David

Thanks for the info Vladimir and David!

It seems as I thought that it's worth giving parallel studio a spin with our Fortran parallelization and see how rough the ride is.

::Antti::

Inicie sesión para dejar un comentario.